defender brake calipers on range rover axles

Tractorboy16

Be VERY careful. Depending on the age of your respective axles and calipers you may find that the caliper bolts are very slightly different diameters. The bolts are an interference fit in the caliper so even a slight difference in diameter will allow the caliper to move under braking loads.

Why do you not want to use the RR calipers?

Be VERY careful. Depending on the age of your respective axles and calipers you may find that the caliper bolts are very slightly different diameters. The bolts are an interference fit in the caliper so even a slight difference in diameter will allow the caliper to move under braking loads.

well,

due to the rangy set up it runs two circuits , primary and secondary, im getting no pressure with the brake system so thought it would be easier to fit a defender axle or calipers to work with the defender servo im using,

have 1991 range rover axles, may put a defender front axle on as then have 24 spline axles!!!

i wouldn't be able to run the defender calipers with rage rover disk's?

James

well,

due to the rangy set up it runs two circuits , primary and secondary, im getting no pressure with the brake system so thought it would be easier to fit a defender axle or calipers to work with the defender servo im using,

have 1991 range rover axles, may put a defender front axle on as then have 24 spline axles!!!

i wouldn't be able to run the defender calipers with rage rover disk's?

James

A ha!

Exactly the problem I faced. Ended up sticking with the Defender axle.

From the Defender 1991 model year onwards the braking system components were rationlised across the Defender vehicle range, so parts like calipers/disc/servo's were common to assist production.

Hi, This\ is interesting as i'm just \in the middle of plumbing a 1985 90 setup to Rangerover axles and callipers. I've simply made the twin circuit callipers into single circuit with the use of a two into one T junction..Then running single pipe to the master cylinder via a second T junction that runs to the other front Calliper. The rear circuit runs via the distribution valve to the rear single curcuit callipers at the rear. I can't see why this would not work. How have you plumbed yours. It looks a bit more complicated in the first photo.

Hi, This\ is interesting as i'm just \in the middle of plumbing a 1985 90 setup to Rangerover axles and callipers. I've simply made the twin circuit callipers into single circuit with the use of a two into one T junction..Then running single pipe to the master cylinder via a second T junction that runs to the other front Calliper. The rear circuit runs via the distribution valve to the rear single curcuit callipers at the rear. I can't see why this would not work. How have you plumbed yours. It looks a bit more complicated in the first photo.

Hi Max-ie,

interested in your system, just to clarrify, is this what you have done, little diagram!!!

you have put t-pieces on both front callipers to make single circuits and then T-pieced these together so you have a single front system for the front brakes, are you running this circuit of the nearest to bulkhead outlet on master cylender or furthest one away?

and then running a second circuit to the rear vier a ditribution valve?

see diagram if it works!!!

have you tried this yet? or still building it?

post-763-1234219704_thumb.png

Many thanks

James

Hi James, yes this is how i've done it. The primary circuit is the one furthest from the bulkhead. This goes to to a T then off to each front caliper. The secondary circuit (rearmost to bulkhead, goes in the side of the distribution valve. A pipe then comes out of the front of the valve turns 180 and goes to the rear axle. Id initially got this the wrong way round. I've not got any braided hoses yet, still saving so don't know if it works. I was reading today that the system should be left open to allow the free flow of fluid for 5 minutes prior to bleeding. I suppose this is so all the pipes get filled before the bleeding process. I can't see any reason why this would not work other than a buggered valve in the\master cylinder.

Letr me know if its ok. I'm sending for some parts at the end of the week so you will get there before me.

Max