On-board MIG welder project

MogLite

This is what the postman turned up with today

20_1_b.JPG

Bought of ebay US for $100 posted - cost me another £17.50 in duty and stuff, so a lot cheaper than the equivalent Ready Welders

With a spool of flux wire (it won't take gas) and 1,2 or 3 12V batteries, I should have a MIG welder I can use in the field :)

There is a wire speed control, but no power control, so some experimentation with wire speed and number and quality of batteries will be necessary.

There are two electrical connections, a power connection, and a smaller one which I assume is the earth for the wire feed motor.

Alas it didn't come with tips or a shroud, but I believe the Tweco stuff is resonably easy to get hold of.

Be a useful thing to have around I reckon.

because it looks like that little thing would stick fag papers together :lol: you can get a lovely little tig plant no bigger than a car battery that'll push 160.expensive though.Plus i'm a tig welder and i've got a few in the workshop!

IF you are talking about inverter tig sets yes they are small and no i wouldnt say £150-£200 for a 150amp scratch start tig IS dear? <_<

I am also a TIG,MIG,MMA and gas welder! (with £1000,s worth of welders in my own workshop)

;)

Chris

PS the pic is only of the spool feed for the mig.

What are the options for battery powered tig?

And what about just carrying some manual metal arc rods and using them with a set of jump leads? Not as easy to use but cheap and compact.

Trev - arc rods are a possibility, but my arc welding isn't up to much :(

However - you need different rods for things like axle cases etc.

With arc, to weld an axle case, you'd have to preheat it, weld it with a fancy rod, and then insulate it to allow it to cool slowly.

Not really practical in the field

With a MIG - just burn it in :D

Eh northernchris you sure your not a southerner? £200 up north could buy you a plant hire company!!!

I'm also well versed in all welding disaplines but have found that i'm a natural TIG welder....expensive,unable to work in the cold and like working in breweries and chocolate factories!

I've read somewhere about a high output amp for car stereos that will put out 150 amp,more than enough for mig,tig and mma.

Lovin this thread.

its a DC welder, can be used either with 24v car battery as a power source or as a spool gun for a mains powered welder - hook it to a TIG and have MIG facility,

For in the field use you can't beat em, they are easy to use and the ready welders I have handle 275amp at 60% on flux cored or 100% with gas, hot start ones are less fun to use but cold start is childs play

They also MIG ally quite happily

TIG in a muddy field? erm :D

Andy - Ive got some tips that should fit yours, sort you out when you bring the box up

Andy - that looks fab!

I'd looked at these in the past but ruled them out as too expensive - but yours looks promising!

I've experimented a little, stick welding with my jump leads. The reason most people go for 24v isn't so much for the higher current delivery, it is that it is less effected by rust & carp on the surface.

If you are welding clean metal, 12v works fine. I reckon it was delivering about 80-100A on 12v with 2.5mm rods.

Mig would be wonderful by comparison!

Si