Wolf Air Filters

Outdoor Ed

Right in my great knowledge I bought a nice big Wolf Air Filter unit last year from one of the shows.

It is plastic and rather large, which is great for getting a decent air flow into my engine, even has 2 filters in it, a second smaller one sitting inside the first to filter sand out (I think)

Does anyone have a clue where I can get spare filters from? or even if I can get a reusable filter like a K&N or Pipercross for it?

I am currently stumped on this issue as I have been looking for the last 9 months for somewhere I can buy them from. Help is now required.

The filters are a standard enough fit so should be readily available. They were made by a firm I'd not heard of, (kenilworth or some such - I'm de-mobbed now so cant readily get my hands on one to check!), but I'm sure that just a quick gooooogle will throw something up. If that fails like Junior says - the stealers will be able to help (for a princely sum obviously.)

Just as an aside - the innner filter is only needed in extremely dusty conditions (the filters were issued as a general instruction for Iraq initialy, but as nearly every WOLF in service has been over there by now, they are standard fitment now) so you dont need the inner and TBH they tend to breath a little easier without it over here in 'normal conditions' land so much so that we took the inners out on returning from sand central and ran with just the main one over here......

The filter and housing is made by a company called Donaldson or Donaldsons (cant remember which). It's a British company that makes induction systems for anything from generators to tractors. They have a website so I'm sure you could email them. Search on google for the above. Can't help you anymore.

Cheers

Log

I have just got the same filter to go in my Wolf. Cant help with the element, but how did you get it to fit in the straps that held the original on, as it is too big for the current straps?? I have bodged mine with cable ties for the time being but would like to fit it properly. I will keep my eyes open for a filter ad this is going to be a problem I will have in a year.....

The new filter comes with all of the bits to mount it in the MOD kit - unless you have them its gonna be a right faff on as it needs new brackets at the front of the FIP and other stuff, but basically most of the old fitting kit comes off and goes in the bin so I'm not surprised your's doesn't fit!

I have just got the same filter to go in my Wolf. Cant help with the element, but how did you get it to fit in the straps that held the original on, as it is too big for the current straps?? I have bodged mine with cable ties for the time being but would like to fit it properly. I will keep my eyes open for a filter ad this is going to be a problem I will have in a year.....

Aah! I have fitted mine to my 90 with it's Isuzu 2.8TD engine in, it originally had the standard 2.5 TD engine in, so the filter is retro fitted and strapped in place with some very HD Cable ties :rolleyes: as the original filter housing had the nasty tripod attached to it.

As I got it new from one of the LR shows for £20, it didn't come with any brackets. I have toyed with the idea of using an Xeng Quickfist, but then the cable ties work very well, and they are cheaper :lol:

But if I wanted to do a proper job on it I would probably go with the Quickfist idea, if it would fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep that is the very one!

I have had the filter unit out and compared it to one out of a 300tdi, although the same diameter it is a good bit longer. Plus I'm still unsure where I'm supposed to get replacement filters from, the Donaldson Filters website, was pretty useless to be quite honest.

Yep that is the very one!

I have had the filter unit out and compared it to one out of a 300tdi, although the same diameter it is a good bit longer. Plus I'm still unsure where I'm supposed to get replacement filters from, the Donaldson Filters website, was pretty useless to be quite honest.

Confused? I was!

I did say it was going to be a pain to get hold of the filters........................

It certainly is seeming rather a pain in the arse :huh: Grrrrrrr!!

What are peoples thoughts on fitting a shorter filter element in the unit, will it work if it's the same diameter, or will I have to put something in the top to ensure it stays attached at the bottom?

Was really wanting to put a reusable high flow air filter in.

Any filter that fits snug on the oulet will do - but as you point out, it needs to be held in, which is done by the lid on the correct element so you'd need to make/source something that'll fill the space between the lid and a shorter element whilst giving enough pressure to clamp the fliter against the output, but not so much that you cant get the lid on. Unless the shorter element can be fixed to the outlet somehow?...................

<snip>

Was really wanting to put a reusable high flow air filter in.

Why ?

The filtration efficiency of a reusable element compared to a Donaldson is chalk and cheese.

Put it this way, I took a K&N out and used a Donaldson Cyclopac element in my 300Tdi. I've been involved in filter testing comparing the K&N to OE and Donaldson, and for the small increase in dP the increase in efficiency was too hard to ignore.

BTW, the inner elements are commonly used in ag and off road gear, they are mainly to protect the engine during filter changes in dusty environments. Most all the tractors I've serviced used dual elements.

If you look at the plastic Donaldson housing thee will be a part # somewhere, if you can find it it's pretty easy to plug the numbers into the Donaldson search engine to find the appropriate filters. If you could post the pt. # up that would be great too.

And FWIW, Donaldson is the biggest filter company in the world, their R&D alone budget exceeds K&N's total sales. The three biggest filter companies are Donaldson, Cummins Filtration (Fleetguard) and Mann-Hummel and all three concentrate on the heavy vehicle, Ag and OEM markets.

Why ?

The filtration efficiency of a reusable element compared to a Donaldson is chalk and cheese.

Put it this way, I took a K&N out and used a Donaldson Cyclopac element in my 300Tdi. I've been involved in filter testing comparing the K&N to OE and Donaldson, and for the small increase in dP the increase in efficiency was too hard to ignore.

BTW, the inner elements are commonly used in ag and off road gear, they are mainly to protect the engine during filter changes in dusty environments. Most all the tractors I've serviced used dual elements.

If you look at the plastic Donaldson housing thee will be a part # somewhere, if you can find it it's pretty easy to plug the numbers into the Donaldson search engine to find the appropriate filters. If you could post the pt. # up that would be great too.

And FWIW, Donaldson is the biggest filter company in the world, their R&D alone budget exceeds K&N's total sales. The three biggest filter companies are Donaldson, Cummins Filtration (Fleetguard) and Mann-Hummel and all three concentrate on the heavy vehicle, Ag and OEM markets.

OK I take your point, but that still doesn't help me find a source for being able to buy the necessary filter element, I would buy another Donaldson Filter element, if I could find someone who actually sold them.

I am considering a different one such as a K&N or other highflow filter element because if I can't get hold of of a Donaldson filter, I may as well get a decent highflow one.

<snip>

I am considering a different one such as a K&N or other highflow filter element because if I can't get hold of of a Donaldson filter, I may as well get a decent highflow one.

But that's the point, they aren't decent (relatively speaking) and aren't needed in a 300Tdi.

Any truck parts supplier can usually supply Donaldson, or if there's a Cummins dealer around their Fleetguard/Nelson elements cross reference. Just look in the local phone book for Truck spares and do a ring around.

Most of the big Euro Truck manufacturers use one or the other manufacturers filters anyway, or just get in touch with Donaldson Europe and ask where to source nearby. Finding parts is usually only a few phone calls.

please post up a pt. # of the filter housing as well, I'm interested in what they've used, and the element # is then easy to find too.

All our military 110's use the 3.9 litre Isuzu 4BD1 with the old style Donaldson Cyclopac housing (metal) Wolfs are as rare as rocking horse poop in this part of the world.

But that's the point, they aren't decent (relatively speaking) and aren't needed in a 300Tdi.

Any truck parts supplier can usually supply Donaldson, or if there's a Cummins dealer around their Fleetguard/Nelson elements cross reference. Just look in the local phone book for Truck spares and do a ring around.

Most of the big Euro Truck manufacturers use one or the other manufacturers filters anyway, or just get in touch with Donaldson Europe and ask where to source nearby. Finding parts is usually only a few phone calls.

please post up a pt. # of the filter housing as well, I'm interested in what they've used, and the element # is then easy to find too.

All our military 110's use the 3.9 litre Isuzu 4BD1 with the old style Donaldson Cyclopac housing (metal) Wolfs are as rare as rocking horse poop in this part of the world.

OK Rick

I'll go with you on this one and take your advice, I shall also try some of the other options you mentioned for getting new filter element.

Part number for the housing is: FPG07-0135

I actually run a Isuzu 2.8 TD in my 90 (don't know if you had spotted that?) not a 300tdi, I was just told that the filter unit was off a 300tdi wolf. I am in the process of tuning it a little, and adding a intercooler, I have certainly noticed a difference in performance in using the bigger air filter unit, than what was on before, but I really need to find a source for new filter elements, as this on has been in a good while now and really needs replacing.

thanks

Ed

right girls,if any one is interested i can supply the donaldson filter elements,just waiting for a price,will post a total including postage as soon as i know,chris.

Interested?

As I seem to be really struggling to find them, if you can supply them, I would be a very happy guy. :i-m_so_happy:

Keep me posted PLEASE................. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ed, thanks for that pt. #

How did you go getting a filter ?

It really surprises me how hard it's been for you fella's to get an element.

I'm guessing that housing is a special for Land Rover as it doesn't cross with a 'standard' FPG housing.

All the FPG's I have drawings on have the inlet connection on the drivers side bottom, and I'm guessing the one you have has it on the near side bottom like the 'standard' 300Tdi filter ?

BTW, that model FPG filter has a higher flow rating than a standard 300tdi filter too. 160cfm @ 6" water vs 112cfm (without the safety filter, 125cfm with the safety filter)

According to the Donaldson catalogue, the filter pt. # is P827653 for the primary element and P610904 for the safety element

Hi Ed, thanks for that pt. #

How did you go getting a filter ?

It really surprises me how hard it's been for you fella's to get an element.

I'm guessing that housing is a special for Land Rover as it doesn't cross with a 'standard' FPG housing.

All the FPG's I have drawings on have the inlet connection on the drivers side bottom, and I'm guessing the one you have has it on the near side bottom like the 'standard' 300Tdi filter ?

BTW, that model FPG filter has a higher flow rating than a standard 300tdi filter too. 160cfm @ 6" water vs 112cfm (without the safety filter, 125cfm with the safety filter)

According to the Donaldson catalogue, the filter pt. # is P827653 for the primary element and P610904 for the safety element

Still no filter yet :(

Good to know the flow rate figures though. cheers for that.