300tdi serpentine belt changing

Griffin

bought myself a 1998 disco tdi yesterday and thought of starting of with changing the serpentine belt.

There is a squeal coming from somewhere, i doubt that its the tensioners because they have been changed not so long ago so i assume it must be the belt.

Well to my question now. For me who is used to a lot of problems coming up it seems way to easy to change it. Loosen up the tensioner and just remove the belt and then put a new one on? is that all? With how much torque shall i retighten the tensioner? can i be tightened to much so that there is to much pressure on the belt?

Can i change the belt without removing the fan itself?

Probably a real beginner question but i dont wanna screw anything up the first time i open the hood.

Attached an image of it aswell.

I actually live in sweden however the fellow who owned it is british and had it since he bought it new. All papers and receiptes he had in a nice folder.

post-15064-1234877851_thumb.jpg

The 300tdi tensioner on the serpentine belt are renowned for being noisy, but also the belts. to check if it,s belt get a wax crayon and with the engine idling CAREFULLY touch the crayon onto an accessible part of the belts ribbing, make sure it goes across the width of belt and listen to see if noise goes, (we use yellow MoT crayon)

if not then spray lubricating oil into tensioner pulley and see if that stops it

easy way to eliminate each item

(don't catch fingers when doing above)

Billy

Just to add - you need to lever on the bolt in the centre of the pulley (I use a 15mm socket on a long breaker bar and find it easier to start off with it just under the vertical toward the drivers side then pull it down, which levers the pulley up, flick the belt off the waterpump pulley and then release the tension whilst taking the rest of the belt off.) - NOT the nut that holds the tensioner body to the timing case as this has zero effect on the tension in the belt........

• 1 month later...