Drive flange bolts!

Just checking my tyre pressures and noticed a bit of oil around the centre of my wheel... turns out all 5 drive flange bolts are loose! and not just slack, they were coming out!

I'd just been doing some recovery and snatch towing, could this have caused it?

Wouldnt like my half shaft to fall out...

Cheers

Roland

Any kind of fairly heavy use can cause this, specially with the use of a diff locker, I get this on my 90, it pays to check / re-torque them (to 65 Nm) occasionally.

A Disco 1 (300tdi) I bought recently also had the dreaded oily wheel syndrome and when I checked I found two out of five on one side were loose and the other three were sheared off in the holes, came to check the other side and four were sheared :o Overtightened I assumed, although, thinking about it if they're loose they will flex back and forth sideways in the threaded holes and most likely break through fatigue.

Grade 10.9 should be used and as above loctite (the oil resistant one) after cleaning it all out first then torque it up tight and it should never come lose.

There is no reason why recoverys should work them lose any more than driving dow the road or parking one wheel on the curb!

Grade 10.9 should be used and as above loctite (the oil resistant one) after cleaning it all out first then torque it up tight and it should never come lose.

There is no reason why recoverys should work them lose any more than driving dow the road or parking one wheel on the curb!

I agree they should never come loose, but they do!

I always check mine with a 3/8 ratchet and socket every couple of months or if going on a long trip before I depart if loose then you can feel with the ratchet - if correctly tight then you will not overtighten with a 3/8 ratchet.

Left rear always seems to come loose first, same as the wheel nuts. Thats the corner I always check first. If left rear good chances that the other 3 are good.

Same as greasing the prop shafts, you need to treat your LR to some TLC more than just occasionally :P:(:unsure::lol:

Land Rover Genuine Parts Drive Flange Bolts aren't very expensive - They're Grade 10.9 and they come pre-impregnated with thread locking compound.

As well as cleaning out oil in the threaded holes in the hubs, you should also run an M10 (for Defenders) Plug or Bottoming Tap down them to remove the old thread-lock.