Handbrake

Having had this issue as well with a run away 90 and trailer I decided to remove/fix mine

the cable was entirely seized and the innards covered in slindon mud.

awtg the new cable I've stripped/cleaned the entire brake mech

and used this pic as a reminder on where/how the bits go back together.

oddly there is another spring fitted to mine that retains the abutment plate to the back plate that is not

shown in the pic.

post-5-1236101655_thumb.jpg

After working well into the night yesturday, my handbrake now seems to be a lot better. There's a good amount of tension on the handbrake lever and it feels like it's actually holding the vehicle, though I need to test it on a proper gradient still.

I don't know what the original problem is, but seeing as it's fixed now with no new parts, is it possible that when that drum was frozen, the jolt of me driving it to release the brake could have knocked the rollers out of position? I'm thinking that they were getting caught somewhere and not letting the cable move properly, so when the handbrake was depressed it felt like the lever could move further into released position than the cable.

Thanks to everyone for your help with this, it was one of the worst job's i've had to do on the car to date.

• 3 weeks later...
After working well into the night yesturday, my handbrake now seems to be a lot better. There's a good amount of tension on the handbrake lever and it feels like it's actually holding the vehicle, though I need to test it on a proper gradient still.

I don't know what the original problem is, but seeing as it's fixed now with no new parts, is it possible that when that drum was frozen, the jolt of me driving it to release the brake could have knocked the rollers out of position? I'm thinking that they were getting caught somewhere and not letting the cable move properly, so when the handbrake was depressed it felt like the lever could move further into released position than the cable.

Thanks to everyone for your help with this, it was one of the worst job's i've had to do on the car to date.

Mine failed as well about a year ago. I fixed it and fixed it .. Oh and fixed it again. I take it to bits, find its already clean and adjusted, stick it back together and it works. I do have a bit of a leak from the rear of the transfer box but just the normal seal weep.

Saturday morning saw me chasing after my van whilst trying to shut the yard gate. Straight on the phone to order an x-brake but x-eng was shut. So it'll be monday's job.

So for you it sounds like you too will be asking yourself next year " why didn't i just get it sorted last year"

I know what you're saying but with an axle having just gone pop I don't think I'm going to be able to spend that much on something when I have one that works on 99% of road situations, leaving it in gear is more effective anyway, and if the hill's really big then low 1st will hold it. The handbrake is now holding it on hills off road that it would have struggled to before.

I have noticed a drip of oil from the backplate though, so I'll be taking it apart again and sorting a new felt washer seal. Better to do it now than later, especially as I can't use the vehicle until the axle is done.

• 3 months later...

my discovery has had a similar proble, after breaking my axle, and leaving my landrover stood minus front axle with handbrake on for longer than first anticipated, my handbrake started to stick like threepointfive's problem, seems to be stuck on and cable loose when let lever down. i fixed it with a few taps of the hammer on the drum, although immediately problem starts again. handbrake now stuck on and will not unstick, so its not holding itself.

any ideas?