You know what, angle grinders bite!

minivin

Couple of years ago I had a accident with linishing disc [on the grinder] It court sharp edge of some rust and ripped the grinder out of my hand, it went thru jeans and imbedded it self in top of my leg resulting in 9 stitches. [i was lazy and was sitting on the milk crate] Never sat on anything since then, and always try to keep body parts away from the grinder. Greg

Oi Rob......... :)

Is that a cutting disk? and you where grinding? Thats why it exploded!

Cutting disks cut via the edge, grinding disks grinds on the flat and the edge :P you may have caught the flat side of the disk but not known and then it ground itself down!

I did this the other way round many years ago, tried cutting a S2 chassis up using a 9in grinder with a grinding disk.......it took so long........I only reaised it when I changed it!!!

no, cutting a slit into the bearing so I could then crack a portion off with a cold chisel and then whack it to put a crack in the bearing at it's finest point to remove it, no lateral loading at all which peeved me off :)

lad i was working with a couple of years ago was laying under a tipper trailer grinding some welds back when the grinder 'hit a hard bit' (his words) and bounced back into his cheek, it was realy cold and it took him a couple of minutes to realise it had cut him, when he crawled out from under the traier he rubbed his cheek with a dirty riggers glove... and exposed his cheek bone :(

16 stiches and two years later he has a messy scar running across his face, and always wears a full face shield...

grinding wheels are not good things to hurt yourself with, as they obliterate everything in their path, rather than giving you a nice clean cut that heals properly.

when you use a grinder, have a look at the way the wheel is rotating, and try to think where it might go if it shatters, if you are in the way, try turning the grinder or using the other hand, so the bits will fly off into the distance, not into you.

BusShed - you listening to this?

Si

Yeah, I don't know what was wrong with me the other night :( . Just being lazy and distracted I guess.

Usually I have a full face shield as well as safety glasses and gloves. I have had enough incidents with grinders to know better.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
It all started quite innocently, found that my superwinch 525 was making nasty grating noises when I turned the shaft "that'll be the input worm bearing shot"

Anyhoo, got one bearing out and that was ok "oh!", took the whole worm out and the other bearing was ok <grump>, turn the mainshaft and grating noise starts <mumble mumble> ar$e

So I strip the cover off and inside of the outer taper bearing was a whole load of grit, so I pulled the load out and started cleaning it, at which point I found that the bearing I had ordered was actually for the mainshaft and not the worm screw, double ar$e!

Having started cleaning the mainshaft and drive gear I'm not to happy with the bearing that was dirty and decide to replace it with my unlucky/lucky purchase, I break the bearing cage and get the rollers off and put the mainshaft into my vice t cut the race to remove it.

As I'm cutting, the slitting disc shatters and flys off into my hand in all of the time of 0.5 seconds or something ludicruos, swift to turn the grinder off and in doors, hand under the sink and cleaned my hands before the pain started to set in (scrubbing open wounds is not top of my list of pleasureable experiences).

I then had the sensation that I can only put down to being a mild case of shock kick-in, followed by panic as my parents had moved the first aid kit (I won't post what I thought on the matter at that moment), dad finally came into the kitchen while I was throwing cupboads open trying to find it and not try to bleed on stuff.

Anyhoo, turns out to be a few mm's deep, but slanted so not actually that deep, gunno go out and tidy everything away and get a glass of wine or something stronger :huh:

DSCF1855.jpg

• 1 month later...