Info required about lenses for Sankey trailer

Madcowz

Hi,

I'm now the proud owner of a wide track and want to sort the electrics out as I am already sick of messing about with a lightboard and I've only had it 2 days. :angry: I also need to learn to reverse it without jackknifing it all the time. It is so much harder to reverse than the twin axle cattle trailer I normally tow about.

post-4939-1236003440_thumb.jpg

First step is to buy some light lenses but I don't which ones to get and where they go on the trailer. I have all the lens rings and some mud but that is it. I have six on the back, two pairs on the outside under the triangles and two under the tailgate.

I have seen these on Eblag and they are advertised as:

LAND ROVER MILITARY LAMP LENSES

post-4939-1236003648_thumb.jpg

Would these fit or are there standard (cheap) ones that will fit as well. I want it to look as proper as possible but not have to spend loads being too authentic.

Has anyone got any pictures of the back that shows which lens goes where?

Also, where do you guys fit the number plate as I can't see anywhere obvious that would look good.

thanks.

The lenses will fit.

Red lenses rear are most outward, yellow inside. The kit in the pic is for a vehicle, flat read lenses are for the fog lights and you will have two yellow as spares. ;)

I can't give you any advise for license plate. What's OK here is a completely different matter...

Thanks for the reply.

I have managed to get hold of the manual and as you say:

Of the outer pair of lights:

Outer lights: Tail & Stop

Inner lights: Indicator

and a number plate and Convoy light.

This doesn't help with the inner two lights though.

post-4939-1236022828_thumb.png

i will check PROPERLY tomorow

if acurate the indicator lenses should have rear on them as the front of a military l/r HAS FRONT ON THEM AND REAR HAS REAR(NOT A LOT OF PEOPLE KNOW THAT.)

THE NUMBER PLATE IS FITTED TO THE RHS I THINK OF THE TAILGATE WITH A LANDROVER TYPE LAMP ABOVE IT

OH AND A CONVOY LAMP UNDERNEATH

CHECK OUT THE PRICE OF COMPLETE LAMPS FOR EACH AS THERE MAY NOT BE ALOT OF DIFFERENCE IN PRICE FOR THE LENSES AND I BET YOU WILL NEED THEM.

AT ONE TIME THE COMPLETE STOP TAIL LAMP WAS CHEAPER THAN JUST THE LENS?

if acurate the indicator lenses should have rear on them as the front of a military l/r HAS FRONT ON THEM AND REAR HAS REAR(NOT A LOT OF PEOPLE KNOW THAT.)

Not something I ever picked up on in my 20 odd years of inspecting the things for the MoD and I'm a stickler for things like that, believe me! - doesnt make ecconomical sense either you'd have to stock twice the number of lenses plus its not like the light output is different from either set of indicators as they both use the same wattage bulb and are mounted the same, also I seem to recall there only ever being one NSN for the indicator rubies not 2, but I'll dig out some old AESPs to check that as I might be wrong due to a failing memory - too much nerve agent and fuller's earth.........

Odd one that, got any pictures of the markings in question just for interest's sake?...........

I have a load of lenses and complete lamps also I think there is a convoy lamp or it may be a number plate lamp. Let me know if you are interested.

The number plate lamp is still fitted on the trailer just above the offside triangle, the number plate would have been attached to the two brackets to the left of the light.

HENNEGANOL

THE NUMBER PLATE IS FITTED TO THE RHS I THINK OF THE TAILGATE WITH A LANDROVER TYPE LAMP ABOVE IT

OH AND A CONVOY LAMP UNDERNEATH

CHECK OUT THE PRICE OF COMPLETE LAMPS FOR EACH AS THERE MAY NOT BE ALOT OF DIFFERENCE IN PRICE FOR THE LENSES AND I BET YOU WILL NEED THEM.

AT ONE TIME THE COMPLETE STOP TAIL LAMP WAS CHEAPER THAN JUST THE LENS?

I never knew that about 'Front' & 'Rear' Indicator Lenses, mine hasn't got 'Front' or 'Rear' marked on them, does that mean they are not Genuine?

Colin.

they are front and rear lenses i know i do it for a living dont know why though as they cannot be much different?

as an example the lenses can be £7 to £10 pounds each and the lamps complete with lens £16 ish

they do vary in price although they are not that different in construction.

i recently informed my employer that they were paying more for the stop tail lamp lens than the whole assembly

apart from the lenses they either have single or double pole bulb holders for stop/tail(double pole)

or fog-indicators-front side lights which are single pole and all the same.

dont know why yours are not marked front or rear,guess not military ones .

they are front and rear lenses i know i do it for a living dont know why though as they cannot be much different?

as an example the lenses can be £7 to £10 pounds each and the lamps complete with lens £16 ish

they do vary in price although they are not that different in construction.

i recently informed my employer that they were paying more for the stop tail lamp lens than the whole assembly

apart from the lenses they either have single or double pole bulb holders for stop/tail(double pole)

or fog-indicators-front side lights which are single pole and all the same.

dont know why yours are not marked front or rear,guess not military ones .

That is weird mine not being marked front or rear, I assumed they were genuine military ones as they have the 'LUCAS', 'ENGLAND' and traces of Matt Green Paint on them (why they weren't unscrewed to paint, I don't know), they look original from it's days as a Rapier Tractor.

Do you have the respective NSN's &/or Land Rover part numbers for the Front and Rear Lenses?, just for future reference.

Cheers,

Colin

In 23 years as REME I never knew or noticed this and can say for certain that the vehicles I was hands on with last had no such markings on the lenses. There must be a vehicle type - daf 4 tone MJ/MK or something that doesn't have this distinction and those unmarked lenses are finding their way into the system in large numbers. TBH i reckon its that basically, although both numbers may well be listed in the AESP, the one 'unmarked' lense is being held as stock against both NSN so which ever you demand, you get the same unmarked lense. So I reckon anyway.

Colin, dont fret - your's will still be genuine.............

In 23 years as REME I never knew or noticed this and can say for certain that the vehicles I was hands on with last had no such markings on the lenses. There must be a vehicle type - daf 4 tone MJ/MK or something that doesn't have this distinction and those unmarked lenses are finding their way into the system in large numbers. TBH i reckon its that basically, although both numbers may well be listed in the AESP, the one 'unmarked' lense is being held as stock against both NSN so which ever you demand, you get the same unmarked lense. So I reckon anyway.

Colin, dont fret - your's will still be genuine.............

That would seem the logical explanation to me as well, having worked around the MoD stores system (not Vehicles though) for a good few years (as a Civvy) I know our codifiers would do such a thing and before I left the MoD they were making a big thing of rationalising the Stores.

I'm not that concerned about what I have fitted being genuine but more worried about anything I get in the future being compatible.

Colin.

While we are on the subject of genuine parts. I was wondering why some trailers are olive green and others (mine) is camo.

Is it just down to where they have been used or is there more to it?

depends on the parent units role i.e. front line, most vehicles in black/green or other appropriate camo for the areas of operation.

ok here we go

mpns only as i cant see nsns being any good to you.

the number plate and convoy lamps are the same

some of the trls i have seen have male lenses screwing into the female lamps

but i will give you the female lens that screws into the male lamps hope that makes sense?

lenses

RTC 1843 FRONT INDICATOR(AMBER)

RTC 1844 REAR INDICATOR(AMBER)

AAU 1079 STOP TAIL (RED)

RTC 2666 FOG (RED FLAT LENS)

AEU 1375 SIDE (CLEAR)

LAMPS

RTC 1885 IND FRONT

RTC 1886 IND REAR

RTC 1919 STOP TAIL

AEU 1374 SIDE LIGHT

RTC 2665 FOG

NUMBER AND CONVOY FV1 4933 OR FV4 26611 ?

IF YOU WANT THE BULB HOLDERS ONLY

LUCAS TR/572727 DOUBLE CONTACT(IE STOP/TAIL)

41-118863 SINGLE CONTACT (IE IND/ FOG OR SIDE )

ok here we go

mpns only as i cant see nsns being any good to you.

the number plate and convoy lamps are the same

some of the trls i have seen have male lenses screwing into the female lamps

but i will give you the female lens that screws into the male lamps hope that makes sense?

lenses

RTC 1843 FRONT INDICATOR(AMBER)

RTC 1844 REAR INDICATOR(AMBER)

AAU 1079 STOP TAIL (RED)

RTC 2666 FOG (RED FLAT LENS)

AEU 1375 SIDE (CLEAR)

LAMPS

RTC 1885 IND FRONT

RTC 1886 IND REAR

RTC 1919 STOP TAIL

AEU 1374 SIDE LIGHT

RTC 2665 FOG

NUMBER AND CONVOY FV1 4933 OR FV4 26611 ?

IF YOU WANT THE BULB HOLDERS ONLY

LUCAS TR/572727 DOUBLE CONTACT(IE STOP/TAIL)

41-118863 SINGLE CONTACT (IE IND/ FOG OR SIDE )

Thanks, that is excellent.

I only asked about NSN's out of interest because I have seen boxes with the MPN covered by a Sticker with a Bar Code and NSN on it in the past and from my experience in the MoD NSN's tend to cover superceded items better than MPN's If I have an NSN (or at least the last 7) I can refer back to it.

Cheers,

Colin.

• 2 weeks later...
should be white, amber is for side markers on all trailers over a certain length, you won't need them.

Excellent, thanks Ralph.

Will swap them over for white as I put amber on first.

I noticed the bulbs are smaller as well although they are higher rated 28v 5w. Not sure what I should pop in there instead for 12v