Quick question on refueling the Series !!

mudmuncher

Hi All

I have a series 3 with a standard under the seat fuel tank the filler is standard with the tube that can be pulled out.

My question is, every time i go to fill up at a pump it is nearly impossible to fill it as the pump just keeps clicking back !!!

It doesnt seam to mater if the tube is pulled up or down all i get is the pump clicking back.

Anyone else have this problem ??

Apart from filling it from a can any ideas on solving it ??

Regards Chris

Hi All

I have a series 3 with a standard under the seat fuel tank the filler is standard with the tube that can be pulled out.

My question is, every time i go to fill up at a pump it is nearly impossible to fill it as the pump just keeps clicking back !!!

It doesnt seam to mater if the tube is pulled up or down all i get is the pump clicking back.

Anyone else have this problem ??

Apart from filling it from a can any ideas on solving it ??

Regards Chris

Don't squeeze the handle fully.

The pumps are designed to cut out when there is back pressure, and the gauze in the filler neck causes back pressure straight away. Slowing the flow reduces the back pressure.

Alternatives include remove the tube completely, remove the gauze, put big holes in the gauze or, as you say, fill from a can.

G.

Cheers Gazzer

Thats a great help !!!

Thank you

You're welcome!

I am now resigned to the fact that when I fill up at the petrol station I will be there for some time! Spend some time looking about - it is interesting watching what people do at the pumps.

G

The pull out tube is designed as a filter and funnel to allow filling from jerry cans. Personally I just take the tube out to fill from the pump - It should come out by pulling up rotating 1/8th of a turn or so (sma position as locking in the up position) and then pulling up again.

Maybe it's just me that does that?

Mark

Starting the pump slowly and then partly withdrawing the nozzle as you increase the flow rate can work - or it did when I had my S2a.

Chris

I also don't aim the nozzle straight down, I aim slightly upwards this allows the fuel to fall away from the nozzle thus removing some of the back preasure.

Marc.

my series has that tube but no gauze in the bottom, but i still take the tube out entirely when i fill from a pump. stick it in the footwell on the drivers side with the fuel cap, makes it hard to forget to put the filler cap back on (which i have done more than once in the past :D )