Series 200TDI cutting out very weird !!

mudmuncher

Hi all

Any ideas on this ??

I have a series 3 with a 200TDI engine in it the landy has been running with this nearly a year now and without any issues

Went for a drive Sunday and after 5 miles i lost all power but then i picked up again, the next 2 miles the engine would run but then randomly die completey every now and again but yet i could still start it again .

The fuel gauge is not great so i filled it up and then i ran fine with no problems since.

I drained the tank and before i filled it up there was a good 10 litres of diesel in there so i hadnt run low.

I also noticed the fuel when i drained it looked clean so i am guessing its not contaminated.

My mate did say he read somewhere about the seal on the fuel cap can cause problems if is worn with pressures in the tank (this one is worn) and maybe that would explain why it ran ok after i removed the cap and filled her up.

Please let me know if you agree or have any other ideas

Many thanks Chris

If the pick up pipe was perforated, then air and fuel would be sucked-up, giving low injector pressure/cutting out/etc. Your reply about the fuel level kind of negates an electrical problem. Fuel level is mechanical, so it's likely the problem is mechanical too. Just a thought, but pulling the pipe is an easy check.

Les.

Hi

Les

Many thanks, i would never of thought of checking that, now you have sugested a perforated pick up pipe the problem being there when the fuel is low and disappering when the fuel leval is high does seem point towards your suggestion.

I will have a look at the weekend and post a update.

Cheers chris

the fuel pickup on my series 3 gets nowhere near the bottom of the tank, leaving quite a few litres of fuel in there when it stops picking fuel up :(

you could have just been running out of fuel

• 1 year later...

Hi all

Any ideas on this ??

I have a series 3 with a 200TDI engine in it the landy has been running with this nearly a year now and without any issues

Went for a drive Sunday and after 5 miles i lost all power but then i picked up again, the next 2 miles the engine would run but then randomly die completey every now and again but yet i could still start it again .

The fuel gauge is not great so i filled it up and then i ran fine with no problems since.

I drained the tank and before i filled it up there was a good 10 litres of diesel in there so i hadnt run low.

I also noticed the fuel when i drained it looked clean so i am guessing its not contaminated.

My mate did say he read somewhere about the seal on the fuel cap can cause problems if is worn with pressures in the tank (this one is worn) and maybe that would explain why it ran ok after i removed the cap and filled her up.

Please let me know if you agree or have any other ideas

Many thanks Chris