Is there a breather pipe on the off-side (drivers) that rises up towards the top of the engine? The dip-stick tube, IIRC, enters the side of the block, so shouldn't interfere with removing the sump...

hi,orange sump nearly off but looking inside best i can, looks like another tray inside sump cover and theres something big and bulky stopping it from dropping down this sump as a gasket on does this mean anything , i was told when i bought it , it was a 200td pre 95 but when i phoned carspares they said pre 95's don't have gaskets on , so what have i got :unsure: cheer's wayne

hi,orange sump nearly off but looking inside best i can, looks like another tray inside sump cover and theres something big and bulky stopping it from dropping down this sump as a gasket on does this mean anything , i was told when i bought it , it was a 200td pre 95 but when i phoned carspares they said pre 95's don't have gaskets on , so what have i got :unsure: cheer's wayne

It's a 200 Tdi by the sound of it, not a TD - big difference.

No gasket - just sealant.

Undo all the bolts and remove the breather pipe (RHS). The sump will be tight as the sealant is an adhesive. Some gentle persuasion with a rubber mallet should see it move - there is nothing else holding it on.

Matt

It's a 200 Tdi by the sound of it, not a TD - big difference.

No gasket - just sealant.

Undo all the bolts and remove the breather pipe (RHS). The sump will be tight as the sealant is an adhesive. Some gentle persuasion with a rubber mallet should see it move - there is nothing else holding it on.

Matt

hi matt, have removed sump by removing part of the exhaust, no breather pipe on drivers side, am now removing parts of cardboard gasket not silicon can i put silicon back instead of cardboard? cheers wayne

not sure on the TDI but on the 2.5NA / TD the strainer hangs down into a baffle thingy and can take some finagling to wiggle it around

post-4308-1236867577_thumb.jpg

post-4308-1236867563_thumb.jpg

hi,my sump his the same as the one's in pictures, already to put back together do i use gasket or can i use sealant,200 tdi as three longer bolts at front of sump according to haynes manual my bolts are all same size. thanks for all your help wayne :rolleyes:

hi,my sump his the same as the one's in pictures, already to put back together do i use gasket or can i use sealant,200 tdi as three longer bolts at front of sump according to haynes manual my bolts are all same size. thanks for all your help wayne :rolleyes:

I have tried it on the 2,5 TD which has a different part number for the sump, but the general concept is supposedly the same.

The LR was on a lift raised high enough that I could stand upright underneath the sump. I had spent around ten minutes pulling and lifting and showing the sump in all angles and directions I could imagine, but could not get it to clear the exchaust and oil pump at the same time.

I gave up and decided to remove the exchaust in order to get more wiggle room.

The moment I took my hands off the sump and turned to move out from under the car to grab spanners to remove the exchaust, the sump fell off all by itself, the edge of the sump hit the top of my thigh, drenched my trousers in the remaining oil, then hit the floor.

My thigh had a nice blue mark 10x15 cm mark for one week, which turned a really nasty shade of yellow for the next week, then slowly faded away during the third week.

The lip of the sump that hit the concrete floor was bent over and cracked.

As Matt has said previously, the 200TDi sump is sealed with sealant rather than a gasket. Use RTV or 'instant gasket' and it will be fine.

You should have 3 longer bolts at the front end as the sump bolts also locate the bottom of the main timing chest. I would suggest getting some new ones...

iv always wonderd why my 300tdi has gasket seal around it i thought its had work done on it or extra protection for waddding ect should 300 tdi have sealant on ???

all 200 & 300Tdi engines use a RTV sealant instead of a paper or card type gasket.