300tdi (Disco) engine into a 2a??

Ben Spray

Hi all

Been looking at putting a 200tdi engine into my 2a for a while now, just looking and noticed that 300tdi engines are coming down in price a bit...

Would one of these fit with the same kind of procedure as a 200tdi or is it more or less(doubt it!) work..

Cheers

Ben

Hi all

Been looking at putting a 200tdi engine into my 2a for a while now, just looking and noticed that 300tdi engines are coming down in price a bit...

Would one of these fit with the same kind of procedure as a 200tdi or is it more or less(doubt it!) work..

Cheers

Ben

IIRC the bellhousing for the clutch is different, which means that the Series gearbox will not bolt straight to the 300TDi. But IIRC the 200TDi rear plate that holds the crank seal can be removed, and fitted to the 300TDi, thereby allowing the series gearbox and bellhousing to then mate-up with the engine :)

Well the continuing search for a repower for the Tonka goes on and I have satisfied myself that a 2.5 na is not an improvement on my "hopped up" 2.25 petrol. A 200 TDI would be but these are not available this side of the pond and as I need a full drop in set-up, getting one from the UK means buying a tired old lump site unseen and hoping for the best which is not a pleasant prospect. Unless anyone has any suggestions to the contrary....

So, the International 2.8 TGV is looking less impossible than it used to. On the one hand I believe that I can access one from Brazil at wholesale plus shipping, and on the other, with the C303 axles in place, that part of the drive train will take the power. The transmission is another issue. There are options.

Option 1: R380 and LT230. Downside is that the former is not readily available in the US and is quite expensive ex-UK. LT230 can be had over here but not with the TDI ratio in high range.

What I don't know despite numerous searches is whether this is a reasonable fit. How long are the R380 and LT230 in combination?

Option 2: Advance Adapters have now completed adapters to mate the 2.8 tgv to the NV4500, NP435 and other popular US gearboxes. There is an adapter available to mate the NV4500 to the Series T-box and possibly from the NP435 to the Series t-box. The NV4500 is a great box but it's reasonably long in an 88 at 12.87" plus extension housing (not entirely sure but I think that's almost 4") in 4wd application. The N435 is ubiquitous, cheap, has a super low granny first of 6.??:1 and is only about 10.5" long.

Of course there is a way to fix this which is to put a 109 rear tub on the Tonka and extend the wheelbase accordingly which would have additional benefits, but that is just altogether too much....

Option 3: Stick with a 200 TDI - but where to find a drop in that's sure to be in good working order.

Option 4Put a US V8 in - see transmission issues above...

So - your thoughts and advice most welcome......????

What I don't know despite numerous searches is whether this is a reasonable fit. How long are the R380 and LT230 in combination?

IIRC the R380 is the same length as the LT77, and when a LT77 is offered upto a series transfer case via a 20mm adapter plate it extends the overall length of the transmission by 90mm (~4")

Got to admit I'd be interrested to see option 2 put into action if only coz it just sounds so much more interresting than the other options. At the end of the day it may also be the most practicable making best use of local parts with good spares/upgrade availability.

Re the lt77/r380 doesn't the lt77 come in short (defender) and long (disco/rr/v8) form?

Re the lt77/r380 doesn't the lt77 come in short (defender) and long (disco/rr/v8) form?

Is it the LT77 or the R380 short bellhousing version that is on the shelf just below the hen's teeth? I thought the short bellhousing R380 was a rare one but I could be confusing these ? In any event the LT77 has been used plenty in Series conversions but the adapter to the Series t-box has been out of manufacture for some years (was Ashcrofts wasn't it?) so that means going with the LT230 t-box - the length of which is???? Will the LT77 mate to an International 2.8 and will it take the torque ?

Of course this whole project is based on my winning the NY State lottery which seems somewhat unlikely....

lt77 with lt230 works out about 8" longrt than series transmission to rear output flange. just remeber that the front prop will havta be way longer than 200mm longer than standard cos the lt230 has a shorter front output on it, i think u'd have to remove your bell housing crossmember to accomodate