Is Thor manifold a good option for MS?

Coastcard

Now it has warmed up a bit, I have ventured out and will hopefully get the 110 fuelling sorted this year.

On the basis the current flapper system seems to be past its sell by date, I am contemplating MS (again!).

The option of using the THOR manifold seems an attractive one as it is a lot neater than the standard setup (especially as I will need to route in sequential LPG as well).

Is it a simple (ish) job? I have seen written that there can be issues with both getting a thermostat on it and routing/connecting a kickdown cable. Anyone know any better? Is it worth it or better to stick with more traditional (probably hotwire) components.

It is certainly a neater option for MS in some ways, I bought one a few years ago with this in mind but never got around to fitting it.

There are a couple of issues which I'm aware of, the first is that I don't think it will fit on a distributor equipped V8, you have to have the serpentine front end and crank that drives the oil pump from the crank. It might be possible to use a cut down distributor to drive the oil pump but as far as I could see here wasn't enough room for a full size distributor.

The idle control is OK but it's a bit coarse and there's no way of driving it proportionately that I'm aware of. You have to put a restriction in the pipe to get the cold rpm something like.

With MSII-extra and the latest closed loop idle control the hotwire plenum would be worth considering, particularly for an LPG setup where the code can stabilise the idle speed for both fuels.

I would say the thor manifold is superior to the std HW or flapper one BUT and its a big but

Getting it to fit may be more trouble than its worth, vs a ported HW/ Flapper inlet and trumpets ?

Unless the engine is in a decent state of tune I wouldn't go that route having l

ooked at it in the past myself and then decided its a shed load of work for questionable benifit

Nige

You guys seem to confirm my thoughts. I think it will be enough of a job getting MS to work and as Nige says, apart from looking nice there is probably questionable benefit.

Let's see if I can have more luck finding a decent hotwire setup than I did with the flapper stuff.

Cheers for the responses.

EDIT 5 mins. later - Just seem to have won myself an Extraefi Megasquirt box on the bay of flees. Decision made... :)

You guys seem to confirm my thoughts. I think it will be enough of a job getting MS to work and as Nige says, apart from looking nice there is probably questionable benefit.

Let's see if I can have more luck finding a decent hotwire setup than I did with the flapper stuff.

Cheers for the responses.

EDIT 5 mins. later - Just seem to have won myself an Extraefi Megasquirt box on the bay of flees. Decision made... :)

I have a 3.9 inlet sitting here in Waterlooville doing nothing.

Steve

As far as I can see the bottom half is the same casting anyway, it's only the bunch-of-bananas top end that's different. Worth a bit extra low-down torque so worth doing if you've got it and it will fit. Given that many people who go EDIS cut the top off their dizzy it may well be fittable on a dizzy-type front cover if the dizzy is decapitated.

Not sure about the plumbing side of things as I've never really looked closely enough.

to have the serpentine front end and crank that drives the oil pump from the crank.

Sorry - off topic here, but do all serpentine RV8s have the crank driven oil pump or is it just the later ones?