Whats that ?

blown88

Ow do everyone,require input of your infinite knowledge in identifiying what ive got. 2 years ago bought a Y reg 88 csw that had a 2.5TD fitted,an overdrive and what i would call a splitter box,yes 2 gear sticks ! Before you ask,there is the normal red/yellow low and 4d sticks,overdrive sticks,normal 4spd n reverse gear stick and then another stick same height and length next to the gear stick that splits the gears,1 low 1 high,2 low 2 high etc,ive asked various LR nuts i know and theyve never heard of or seen one.Any clues ?

Just as a side note,i am an ex mechanic now engineer and after removing the 2.5TD which unsurprisingly expired i am very sure that the vehicle left the factory with this engine (yes i know this engine was only fit in early Defenders)

Can't help on the splitter box, but..

Where is the "splitter?

Is it between the transfer box and the main box? Is it mechanical or hydraulic?

What I'm thinking is that it could be some agriculturial application, as many tractors have various splitters to allow great precision with revs and speed.

As for the TD installation I'd be very surprised if it was original, do bear in mind that the block is very similar to the standard 2286 block, and that the engine mounts are the same, if you swap over the engine side of the mount. Thus it is almost a direct drop in replacement.

Is the battery and airfilter in the correct place for a Series III?

Oh, and pictures WOULD help.

G.

an overdrive and what i would call a splitter box,yes 2 gear sticks ! Before you ask,there is the normal red/yellow low and 4d sticks,overdrive sticks,normal 4spd n reverse gear stick and then another stick same height and length next to the gear stick that splits the gears,1 low 1 high,2 low 2 high etc

Does that mean you have 32 forward gear ratios and 8 reverse? The only application for that I can think of would be for ploughing.

Does that mean you have 32 forward gear ratios and 8 reverse? The only application for that I can think of would be for ploughing.

Are you sure about your maths?

Assuming it is a splitter, the standard LR high 4 speeds rise to 8, then you switch into the standard LR low range, which gives another 8, totaling 16.

Oh, I see, then you add in the overdrive in every gear to get 32. Does the OD work in reverse?

Even if not (so only 4 reverse gears), I still think you win the biscuit :-)

Hmmm, I can't think what has been done or why, but the end result does seem excessive.

I had wondered if this assembly had a bottom PTO and overdrive, which would give the additional 2 gear knobs.

I'll also wait for the pictures, top down or bottom up, either might help.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...