A different take?

ThreeSheds

Frame%201.JPG

Can you tell what it is yet? ;)

I had a problem - I needed to be able to work on an engine and move it around by myself. I wanted to be able to work on any bit of it - top, bottom, front and sides, and even bits of the back - so the normal solution would be an engine stand, but there are two problems (for me) with that solution:

1. You need an engine hoist too - to get it on the stand.

2. They look a little unstable to me - and I need to be able to get it in and out of my garage (which has an awkward little step) by myself.

My solution is a stand which will hold the engine on end and is nice and stable for wheeling round:

Frame%202.JPG

and which has a frame constructed on one side:

Frame%203.JPG

so that the whole assembly can be laid over on one side when needed:

Frame%204.JPG

The top part of the handle is removeable (held in with spring clips) so that if the engine is laid down with the sump on a scaffold board, the whole fame can be easily stripped and removed.

I am quite pleased with it, it is very easy (and safe) for me to trundle around by myself - even in and out of the garage, and is similarly easy and safe for me to raise and lower it.

It was cheap too - I already had the steel and the wheels and castors totalled £19 :)

Proper job :D

I think that is a really good idea. The only downside is having to stand in a hole to work on it comfortably.

However, many years ago I had a bog standard Machine Mart engine stand. I didn't like it and wasn't very confident in its ability to hold an engine. It was also awkward to mount an engine onto and felt unstable when I turned the engine to work on it. I eventually sold it and the chap who bought it rebuilt a V8 on it and then the stand 'tripped up' as he moved it around sending the V8 crashing to the ground and damaging it.

So I like the idea of an engine stand that is close to the ground, stable on four proper castors and allows the engine to be flipped and turned for working access.

Excellent stuff, when are you going to market it?