Mig Welding Wire

bishbosh

So, is it all the same?

My reel is nearly empty and in anticipation of a weld-a-thon next weekend I need to get a new 15kg reel.

The current stuff (excuse the pun :D) has a sticker on the reel that says:

WELDING WIRE SG2

TO BS EN 440 G3Si1

DIAM, 0.8MM PLW

I will be welding CDS roll cage tubing to tubing (2.6mm wall) and tubing to base plates (6mm). I have got on fine with this reel so far, but as I now have the opportunity to change potentially for the better I thought I should investigate my options.

Do I want .8mm or .6mm? The current wire is .8mm so if I change do I need to change the liner? I know I will have to change the tip.

So what does the panel recommend.....?

I'm sure a welder grown up will be along and poss correct me but

I would suggest you stick with 0.8mm PARTICULARLY as this is what you have been using / are used to / are new to welding

as moving over to 0.6mm will be something you'd need to bear in mind will weld differently / setting / feel etc, not good when your about

to do what you are - so use what you are familar with

Re the wire, I always go for a brand make, and if not then I make sure that it has a certain BS Standard so I know it to a decent quality, check

it hasn't oxidised by being stored long / damp, and that it is vacumn packed etc. I don't know if you can even buy rubbish wire, so I just ensure I buy quality Murex is the current fav and the price seemed OK :)

You can get away with a .8 liner with a .6 tip, but .8mm wire will do most if not all what you wnat so 1 set of tips / liner / wire

HTH

Nige :unsure:

What they all said. Also, flimsy ol' .6 wire can sometimes give feed issues / bunching problems (or so I've heard tell, although I've never had a prob myself).

15kg is normal isn't it Les? 'Big' reels are something around 250kg I think? :blink:

Al.

I have a Rand 150S which is apparently a re-branded Miller unit.

Bought second (?) hand two years ago and has been excellent. Takes a grown up reel of wire too. :)

My welder is kept in a dry garage and this reel hasn't corroded over the two years I have had it so I see no reason not to get another 15kg reel.

I'd stick with what you are used to Bish, 0.6mm is really aimed at car bodywork type repairs.

....there is a new coating available now instead of copper , not sure there is any advantage for occasional users though.

When I'm doing agri mole tips I can do a 15kg 1.0 mm in a day so we have this year changed over to a 250kg marathon pack, should last a couple of weeks now :P

cheers

Steveb