Insurance advice

I have to start looking around to get some insurance quotes for my defender. Before I start is there any advice on good companies?

This has been covered time and time again - a quick search of the forum reveals:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...mp;hl=insurance

I'm with the NFU and think they are excellent.

Key thing is as to if the LR is standard or Modified.

The best for hevily Modified IMVHO without doubt is Academy (used to also be Snowball) used them for years did

try a few others and regretted it massively as the service was appalling before I even got the cover ...so have stuck with Academy.

IMHO too many insures talk "Great Service" and "We know our modifications" yet the reality is often truly different if not

annoyingly painfull, you end up giving loads of info to an idiot who asks really stupid questions which makes you worry about their actual

abilities and knowledge.....yet they say they are "experts" - don't start me off :lol:

They also confirmed back to me in writing all mods noted and accepted :)

If standard then much easier, use a web site compare.com etc etc

HTH

Nige

If you got one or more cars it really is worth trying Admiral, I'm 21 with three cars and three drivers (all under 25) across them and pay £60/month.

Admiral are awful - would not reccomend them to anyone. I had a claim where a pothole knackered two wheels on my car and they needed to be pushed every bit of the way to getting it settled and their 'repairers' were appalling (failed to spot bent wheels - visibly bent). Three years later i got the claim settled in my favour (against Transport for London) but only cos i pushed them the whole way!! Steer well clear because in the unfortunate event you do need to claim they are absolutely no help whatsoever!

Admiral are awful - would not reccomend them to anyone. I had a claim where a pothole knackered two wheels on my car and they needed to be pushed every bit of the way to getting it settled and their 'repairers' were appalling (failed to spot bent wheels - visibly bent). Three years later i got the claim settled in my favour (against Transport for London) but only cos i pushed them the whole way!! Steer well clear because in the unfortunate event you do need to claim they are absolutely no help whatsoever!

I had the same problem with Norwhich Union when one of my cars was stolen a few years ago. No help at all, and the offers were pathetic, it didn't even cover the scrap value of a car, let alone a replacement. It ended up becoming a 3 month battle to get a few hundered quid more out of them.

However, I've been with CIS, part of the Co-Op for the past years or so and their prices are good and seem helpful enough when I've altered my details or vehicle. Not sure how they are with modifications though, but I'll be finding out in the next month or so.

Mick

I would have to agree with reb78. We are a multiple car family but our baby is the 110 Defender 300 Tdi 12 seater 1997. One of my main considerations when renewing is the 'inclusive' breakdown cover that most insurance companies offer. The big boys (AA, RAC, Green Flag, NU, Direct Line, CIS, etc) do not cover a 12 seater for breakdown cover. Therefore it narrows it down to the NFU who are quite reasonable anyway and very quick to settle claims.

I would agree with BIG NELLIE here, I've been with the Farmers for a few years now and always had great service, they have always been best on price too (for me anyway) in terms of "cover value" on Land Rovers.

The only time they weren't the cheapest quote was when I insured an Audi A3 and even then the difference was so little that I went with them anyway coz it was just easier that way.

I've just thought of insurance as a formality, something I have to have.

I did go for Flux originally because they cover you offroad. All I'm interested in now is the price as I'm never going to claim anyway, it's a 16 year old motor which (to a point) is easily fixed.

I've just changed to Royal sun Alliance, I told them about my DC conversion and it's still half price.

A.Flux £40 per month

RSA £19 per month

No competition really

Ade

i swear im the only person to have had an issue with nfu. 2 seperate requests for a ring back and nothing, eventually a rude guy pretty much told me to bugger off and then the local office was double my nearest quote!

with cis now, but only for 2 months