3 phase query

tonka

i have just brought a progerss pillar drill. got it quite cheaply and was told that it will run on 240v. it has 4 wires running into it. blue, black, brown and green/yellow. from this i would presume it would only run on 3 phase. i know that you can get inverters to change 240v single phase to 240v three phase and to 415v three phase. can i just conferm that as it had 4 wires it will need three phase. or a replacment motor.

thanks for the help.

cant really see easily.

but i can get my hand on a 1hp single phase motor same rpm for about £30. probabily the best bet as a good inverter is £200+ and i dont think that i will need three phase for other tools.

is there an easy way to test the motor i have to see if it will run on simgle phase. i dont like the idea of wiring it to a plug and turning it on.

yeah it says 220 250 380 440

Thats 220v to 250v phase to earth(USA) for delta motor connection or 380 to 440v to earth(UK) for star motor connection, you will find 6 stud connections under the terminal cover plus an earth connection.

A 3 phase motor will not run on a single phase supply. IIRC the colours you say you have are the new colours for 3 phase supply.

i have just brought a progerss pillar drill. got it quite cheaply and was told that it will run on 240v. it has 4 wires running into it. blue, black, brown and green/yellow. from this i would presume it would only run on 3 phase. i know that you can get inverters to change 240v single phase to 240v three phase and to 415v three phase. can i just conferm that as it had 4 wires it will need three phase. or a replacment motor.

thanks for the help.

As phil said it'll be 3 phase and earth wires. Before looking at getting a single to 3 phase invertor you will need to know whether the motor is star or delta wound. Most have a terminal cover where you connect the wires into. In this terminal cover will be some brass links on some brass studs. On the bottom of the terminal cover lid is normally a diagram that will tell you which way the links go for star / delta.

For a 240v single to 3 phase invertor you need to have your motor delta wound.

Do not attempt to wire this motor without in invertor, meaning just guessing with the wires and plugging it in as it will go bang ... guaranteed. :(

If you can get a 240v single phase motor cheap enough then thats the best way to go.

A single phase motor would be the way to go IMO. Get the power, speed, shaft size and mounting details of the three phase motor and look on Ebay, or where ever, for a suitable replacement.

I tend to get three phase equipment with an easily accessible motor and just replace it with a single phase. It is sometimes possible to change the wiring when you have 5 wires (3ph, N and E) to run on single phase but you lose a lot of power and starting torque so it isn't worth the effort. It is what my Dad used to do when it suitable.

Well my pillar drill won't run properly on the inverter. It starts and gets up to speed, but you can grab the chuck and stop it very easily. A couple of knowledgeable people have looked at it and can't figure out what the proplem is (inverter just shows an error code). It might be the motor though, so I'll strip it down when I have time.

Les.

Well my pillar drill won't run properly on the inverter. It starts and gets up to speed, but you can grab the chuck and stop it very easily. A couple of knowledgeable people have looked at it and can't figure out what the proplem is (inverter just shows an error code). It might be the motor though, so I'll strip it down when I have time.

Les.

Sounds like you have got a 240vac single to 3 phase invertor .. meaning you get 3 phase at 240vac. This is ok. But if the motor is wired in Star and not delta then it will perform as you describe. The other reason is that it could be a 415vac delta motor and you are only providing 240v.

If you send me a pic of the terminal cover with the lid off. A pic of the back of the lid if its still got stuff written in it and a pic of the motor plate then i can let you know if you want.

Also a make and model number of the invertor would be good.