gearing

gelf

right then..... 200 tdi/auto, currently fitted with 205 tyres.

idealy i want to fit my 35" tyres.......lots of work, but what im worried about is the gearing and how the auto box will react/cope with the large increase in gearing given by the tyres.

at the very least i will fit 31" tyres............ would it be better to fit a defender transfer box, or has i have new locking diffs going in.... change the ring and pinion.

it still needs to be driveable at the end of the day :(

On 35's, even with 4.11 R&P's, the gearing will still be a little on the high side. 33's or and 4.11's is nearer to the stock gearing.

Alternatively, go with a 1.6 (early 110) T-Box and leave the R&P gearing as it is.

Since you're going to have to strip the axles to fit the lockers, I'd go with 33's and the 4.11 R&P's.

Kev

I went the other way and fitted the 1.4 transfer box to the Disco with 33" tyres and it works well for the road stuff. I only really notice the low box gearing on steep desents when you go a little fast then I would like. :blink:

The main reason for going the transfer box route was cos of the money. But if you've got the cash and use the low range alot then I'd go for the R&P and do it at the same time as the lockers, as the others has advised. ;)

My Disco with the 33" tyres, just for reference. :D

disco14.jpg

......and why you may need the arches cut!

001.jpg

009.jpg

Or what about 35's with 4.7:1R&P's, how does that compare? If nothing else at least its a standard landy diff ratio.

That's the route I've taken with my 90 (with a 1.192 lt230) and the gearing is great. Fine on the road and a good low range with not too much (but some) overlap between hi and low. I had 1.67 lt230 before with 3.54 diffs (and the 35's). On this hi range was fine but low was cr**, only low first was (a bit) lower then high first, low 2nd was just like hi first and the overlap continued. Bad for steep decents, low speed manouvering and drive assist when winching. I am much happier now :D

I went 4.7s (still got them) cos they are stock and cheap. Downside is they are not very strong though but I was doing ok till I tried using them with a locker. Now fitting a 4.75 to the rear and no doubt will do the front as well when I've got the spare cash.