Proposed TRO, Chute, Wiltshire

bobzilla7

Hi all

You may have heard by now of a TRO proposal in the Chute area of Wiltshire. Word has it that the CC have received 97 replies in favour of the TRO. Can I urge you all to write in objection to the TRO, otherwise it's looking highly likely that we'll lose it. The lane is not in a bad condition, and a TRO is unjustified.

Please see below:

Our ref: AS/P.C.149, 63 Your ref:

Dear ,

SECTION 1 OF THE ROAD TRAFFIC REGULATION ACT 1984

PERMANENT TRAFFIC REGULATION ORDER TO CLOSE TO ALL MOTORISED VEHICLES BYWAY 30, LUDGERSHALL AND BYWAYS 32, 34 AND 36, CHUTE

Wiltshire County Council are proposing to place a permanent Traffic Regulation Order preventing all motorised vehicles from using Byway 30 Ludgershall and Byways 32, 34 and 36 Chute. I have attached a map for clarity of location. Byway 30 Ludgershall runs in a northerly direction from its junction with Crossroads Biddesden Park (point A) for 299 metres. Byway 32 Chute continues from Byway 30 Lugershall (point B) in a northerly direction for 2138 metres. Byway 34 Chute continues in a northerly direction from Byway 32 Chute (point C) for 1802 metres until its junction with Chute Causeway (point D). Byway 36 Chute runs in an easterly direction from its intersection with Byway 32 and 34 Chute (point C) for 440 metres to its junction with Malthouse Lane (point E).

The reasons for the closure are as follows:

“(a) for avoiding danger to persons or other traffic using the road or any other road or for preventing the likelihood of any such dander arising, or

(B) for preventing damage to the road or to any building on or near the road, or

(d) for preventing the use of the road by vehicular traffic of a kind which, or its use by vehicular traffic in a manner which is unsuitable having regard to the existing character of the road or adjoining property, or

(e) (without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (d) above) for preserving the character of the road in a case where it is especially suitable for use by persons on horseback or on foot

(f) for preserving or improving the amenities of the area through which the road runs”

I would therefore be very grateful if you could forward to me in writing any comments or representations which you would like to make regarding the proposals by Monday 2nd February 2009.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

Yours sincerely

Ali Stewart

Rights of Way Officer

E-mail : alisonstewart@wiltshire.gov.uk

Many thanks

would give support but it says replies by Monday 2nd Feb 09.

Is it still worth doing?

I believe it's still worth doing. Tried to keep it off public forums originally, but based on the info I've found we need to reply en-mass. Urgently.

• 11 months later...

PLEASE READ!! This email arrived moments ago!

If you haven't already, get your objections in!

SECTION 1 OF THE ROAD TRAFFIC REGULATION ACT 1984

PERMANENT TRAFFIC REGULATION ORDER TO CLOSE TO ALL MOTORISED VEHICLES BYWAY 30, LUDGERSHALL AND BYWAYS 32, 34 AND 36, CHUTE

I write to advise you that the officer’s report to Councillor. Mr. Dick Tonge, Wiltshire Council’s Cabinet Member for Highways and Transport, regarding the above proposed Traffic Regulation Order (TRO), is now being prepared following responses received during the preliminary and formal consultation and evidence gathered, including photographic evidence.

The report being drafted advises Mr. Tonge to approve the officer’s recommendations that a permanent, all-year-round TRO be placed on Byways Open to All Traffic Ludgershall 30 and Chute 32 (Honey Bottom) and that an non-statutory public inquiry should be held to seek the opinion of an independent inspector on whether a similar TRO should be placed on the Chantry Lane section, Byways Open to All Traffic Chute 34 (Chantry Lane) and Chute 36. The reasons for these recommendations are as follows.

The benefit to the local community for a TRO on the Honey Bottom byways has been positively established. Honey Bottom is a grass surfaced byway and is considered by the officers to be especially suitable for use on foot or on horseback. Photographic evidence shows that these byways are susceptible to damage by motor vehicles. The proposed TRO will also ensure that walkers, horse-riders and cyclists from Lower Chute will be able to access Collingbourne Woods without the concern of encountering motorised traffic on the Honey Bottom byway.

With regard to the Chantry Lane byway and Chute byway 36, damage to the surface of these byways cannot be attributed solely to use by motorised vehicular traffic. Inspection by the officers of Wiltshire Council’s Rights of Way Service on Wednesday 27th January 2010 showed that significant weather damage and water erosion had taken place over the winter while the byways have been closed to use by the public with motor vehicles. Additionally, the safety concerns of the community are based on anecdotal eye witness accounts of use by motor-vehicles prior to the closure of the route to such vehicles by temporary TRO’s, and are not substantiated by arrests and convictions of offenders. As there is no specific statistical evidence of illegal use and confrontation, the holding of a public inquiry would offer an opportunity to debate the issue of safety and obtain the view of an independent Inspector before Mr. Tonge is asked to make his decision.

The officers will include the comments you have already made in the report to Mr Tonge, but if you have anything you wish to add before the report is finalised please write to me directly at the address below, by no later than Wednesday 31st March 2010:

Mrs Ali Stewart

Rights of Way

County Hall

Bythesea Road

Trowbridge

Wiltshire

BA14 8JN

It will not be possible for comments received after Wednesday 31st March 2010 to be included in the report.

Yours sincerely

Just bringing this one back up to the front... i've been emailing Alison @ Wilts county council today (and last week) about the Chute byways.

Just a heads up lads... lets keep it polite whoever is emailing her. She tells me she's had numerous rude and abusive emails from members of the public.

Yes, it's cr@p that byways get downgraded, but it's not personally her fault or decision, so lets keep it all civil.

Posted here on behalf of Diesel_Jim. He is quite correct.

Chris

• 2 months later...

Well here we go, surprise, surprise.... we were ignored.

What actually is the point of emailing your MP or any government related outfit?? I'm gutted, as this case will have set a precedent (is that how things work here)?

THE COUNTY OF WILTSHIRE (BYWAYS OPEN TO ALL TRAFFIC: LUDGERSHALL 30, CHUTE 32, 34 AND 36) (PROHIBITION OF DRIVING) ORDER 2009

Further to my previous email I am able to inform you that a report on the above proposal has now been considered by the Cabinet Member for Highways and Transport who has approved: -

(i) A permanent Traffic Regulation Order be placed on the section known as Honey Bottom, Byways Open to All Traffic Ludgershall 30 and Chute 32.

(ii) A non-statutory Public Inquiry be held, to obtain the views of an independent Inspector on whether to implement a Traffic Regulation Order on Byways Open to All Traffic Chute 34, known as Chantry Lane and Chute 36 to prohibit members of the public from using these rights of way with motor vehicles at any time.

This decision may be accessed via the Internet at http://cms.wiltshire.gov.uk/ieDecisionDetails.aspx?ID=189 . The report reference is HT – 012 – 10.

If you require a full paper copy of the report please email me with your postal details.

Yours sincerely

Hannah Bolwell

Traffic Order Technician

Traffic Order Team

Department of Neighbourhood & Planning

Wiltshire Council

Tel: 01225 713402

Fax: 01225 713207

Email: Hannah.Bolwell@wiltshire.gov.uk

www.wiltshire.gov.uk