Moving On

stuck

Once you finished d*cking around with play days and green laning (not that there is anything wrong with either - it's the stage I'm at) what is the best way in to more challenging events?

Would love to hear tales of how you got into challenge days etc...

Thanks in advance,

Mick.

PS why are co drivers exactly that? :blush:

The thing is events don't so much come to you, as you go to them!!

BADLRC are organising a whole series of events oop north although you may have to venture to Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Cheshire

We had an event last weekend in Lincs and have others coming in North Wales and Yorkshire

So if, like me, you can get out of Lancashire, the world is your oyster :D :D

Thanks for that,

I've read the Howling Wolf threads with great interest but I think I would be out of my league entering one of those!

Are there differing classes or do I need to start elsewhere?

Thanks again,

Mick.

BADLRC is an excelent start me thinks, or try tail end challenge thats really tame! As soon as you go try you'll love it, you just gotta be willing to travel and a good co-driver is the key, that you can both abuse each other, agrue, rant, rave, disagree and NOT fall out and keep up good spirit! lol

unfortunatly due to work Am still a novice, I have only done 3 events but in 3 different trucks.

To start I did tailend challenge 1st, drove their with my mate, we had no winch, 35" BFG Muds aired down, a good suspension set up and won both days in the novice which was painfully slow and easy for anyone who has any knowlage of offroading (we did abuse the truck though).

Then we did last years howling wolf at kirton, drove thier with the truck full with tent etc it was alot better/harder but did a brake flexy on the 1st punch, then after clamping that up killed a cv and shaft on the special stage ( white 100" Tray back, lockers, F&R winches), so had to strip it down and remove in the mud with jack Sh*t tackle, then drove home wet and cold with no heater, in Diff lock, again the cab full with **** but still laughing!

The we did the BADLRC 2 day event with nite sections team event with me and my co driver driving 2 seperate motors with 2 new winch men, trailored both motots their (Highly recomended). we did Good on the 1st day (1st :D ) as it was timed and rob was very very good and enthusiastic, the night ddnt go 2 well, then killed both winches on day 2. But had an excelent time all weekend and the night was awsome!

Problem is its highly addictive and you always want something more competative/reliable as a novice,Just on with building a new truck for some more events! Everybody is very friendly and helpfull though, the more competative 'Big Lads' seem to be more helpfull and are a great help for knowlage/Re-assurance!

Classes depend on the spec of your truck, but you only have to try what you want when you want, theirs no set on what you have to do!

Ty

Stuck, the real question to ask is how much time are you willing to give and how much money have you got? I'd agree with what Tony says - go and watch an event. Another really good way of getting an idea about what's involved is to do a bit of co-driving particularly with an experienced driver on a less serious challenge. That way you'll learn a bit and get a flavour for the sport without a lot of the associated costs. Even if done cheaply this is an expensive sport.

If you decide it's for you then the next thing to think about is the car. As you've done some play days a lot of the basic prep should be OK. However, challenges are just that and they will punish a car. Maintenance is key. The next thing is do you have a winch? If not, you're going to need one (or 2, or 3 :) ). What winch to use depends on who you talk to - I'd only ever use a Warn hi-mount based winch (8074, 8274, GP82) as I believe it's combination of simple construction, fast no load speed and upgradability makes it ideal. Whatever you choose spend one and spend right!

Once the car's up to the job then find a co-driver. Make sure it's someone you trust and get on with. I can guarantee you will have arguments with them but the important thing is that you can move on and not let them get in the way of the job in hand. IMHO it's also good to have a co-driver that has a slightly different view to you. If you're very gung-ho it's a good move to have a co-driver who'll calm you down a bit and prevent too much red mist. Equally, if you're a bit hesitant it's good to have a co-driver who pushes you. Oh, and above all make sure they're fairly fit as they will need to run about!

Other than that, just get stuck in! It's probably a good move to start off with some of the clubman type, one day events to get used to working with your co-driver and see how your car holds up - once you get started you'll want to change a lot (slippery slop I'm afraid)

As far as my story goes I started off with a 300tdi CSW nearly 8 years ago which I upgraded first with some underbody protection, mud terrains, and OME suspension. A little later I got myself an 8274 winch, caged the truck, stripped out a lot of the CSW bits and started going a few events. Then came some Simex Jungle trekkers. Predictably things broke. I fitted ARB airlockers and Ashcroft shafts and I then met the Read brothers (and it all went down hill from there ;) ). I then killed the Simex JTs and fitted ETs. I competed some more and upgraded to Maxi-Drive shafts. I competed some more and decided I wanted a rear winch. etc etc etc. The final spec of the car in June '06 was a 2.8tgv engine, Ashcroft built HD autobox, underdrive, axles with pegged ARBs, MD shafts, ashcrofts CVs, Simex 35x10.5x16 ETs, XP motored 8274 at the front, Superwinch Husky at the back, Safety Devices cage etc etc. I then took it off the road to king cab it and things got out of hand :unsure: The aim was to improve it to make it lighter, tougher and faster. In the end it was broken up to fund a new build that I've been prating about with for sometime now. I hope when this breaks cover it's been worth the cost, effort and time without a challenge car!

first things first when you start building a challenge truck do it right the first time (unlike me ) dont skimp for the sake of a few quid but once you have started to enter evens you wont want to stop its just down to how much cash you have to spend i started out the same as you with laning and play days and slowly progresed to the challenge seen

you can enter the badlrc events with just a front winch if you want as they run classes for all types of vehicals this is where i started and would still be competing if it wornt for the credit cruch but hay ho il be helping run it for this year

you will never be asked or made to drive anything you dont feel up to and this is one thing badlrc events stick to

basic go to an event or to take a look at some of the trucks there and speak to the drives they dont bite and will help you no end they might even have some bits for sale

:hysterical:

Problem is I don't know of anything other than pay and play in my area (Lancashire)

We are in Hindley near Wigan and enjoy the fact that Kirton is 100 miles Corwen is 60 miles Tong is 39 miles and if we do Cowm thats only 27 miles, so we dont do bad up north, ok some of the south ones are a bit far 200miles but not as far as the cockanese have to travel to get up here :P

We are in Hindley near Wigan and enjoy the fact that Kirton is 100 miles Corwen is 60 miles Tong is 39 miles and if we do Cowm thats only 27 miles, so we dont do bad up north, ok some of the south ones are a bit far 200miles but not as far as the cockanese have to travel to get up here :P

Thanks all, great advice.

go and be the winch man for someone. youll learn alot, get stuck right in the thick of it and get a real feel if its what you want to do.

ive only been once as winch man and once just to help out in anyway i could and it was awesome.

Hopefully ill have my ibex ready enough for a stab at the standard class this summer.