New exhaust

the home made temporary solution, 'i'll build a proper one soon', bodgit and leggit exhaust fitted to my 300tdi 90 has finally given up the ghost and is falling to bits after 2 years.

i tore the original defender one off pretty quickly because the standard middle and back boxes hang to low down. So i replaced it with a selection of pipework i stole from my neighbours old citreon van when he scrapped it, and made it a straight through system with no silencers! But alas the second hand rusty pipework is crumbling horribly all over the place.

So i have decided its time to put away the gumgum and little metal plates patching all the holes and build a new exhaust.

Where on earth can you buy 2.5" exhaust pipe in straight, 30, 45 and 90 degree bends from? Preferably in mild steel, as i cant afford stainless and i aint got the right mig wire for welding SS together.

Done the usual google search and i dont know if i'm searching wrong, but i cant find owt...

any help appreciated.

i used jetex parts on mine, tho i used stainless not mild.

the parts have swaged ends (or something like that) they slot over each other and you can either weld them or do what i did and use exhaust clamps to hold it all together. i have had no problem with the pipes fitting into each other, or with them coming undone.

the best part of it was when i found out the 2.5" bits slot straight onto the outlet of the turbo on a 200tdi, all i had to do was cut some slots to make it clampable :D

can anyone confirm what the turbo downpipe external diameter is for definite on a 300tdi please?

as i need to replace the downpipe as well cos the bend at the bottom is caved in a bit and the studs/bolts holding it to the turbo housing are well manky and rusty. I just KNOW that they will snap so having to remove the turbo to drill them out. Which in turn will mean one or more manifold studs will snap in the head. So a simple task will end up taking all weekend and lots of swearing. If i can get a swaged pipe that will fit over the end of the downpipe i will jsut cut the thing off about 12" up from the bend at the bottom and start my new exhaust from there and leave those studs/bolts alone!

also quick bit of opinion - not running a Cat, no mid or back box and i'll be making the pipe routing as straight as i can except for the curve over the back axle. 3" or 2.5"?

will a 3" pipe be far too loud and chavy?

No silencing at all will be a bit too loud i suspect.

The turbo does a reasonable job of silencing, so it doesnt quite sound like you have no exhaust, but i think you'd benefit from one smallish box somewhere in the system.

Fridge - just seen the price of stainless pipe :ph34r: i'm gonna run with mild.

aragorn - dont run any boxes at present and i am happy with it, but its jsut the standard diameter pipe. I was just wondering if going up to 3" would really amplify the noise levels. If it does then i'll stick with the original diameter, but if it doesnt - then bigger is always better!

Chris - just for once i want something new and shiny. Far too often i am forced into cheapness by being a yorkshireman (and also her indoors frowning alot). I've had an attack of bling-itis and really really want new shiny pipes. My last exhaust was scavenged rusty pipe.........