torque wrench

im an absolute novice whilst this post may appear foolish i need to learn so ...do i really need a torque wrench to tighten the sump nut when i do an oil and filter change?

also im having trouble removing my old diesel filter too its as stiff as a board?

im an absolute novice whilst this post may appear foolish i need to learn so ...do i really need a torque wrench to tighten the sump nut when i do an oil and filter change?

also im having trouble removing my old diesel filter too its as stiff as a board?

Personally... I would use a torque wrench to tighen up a jam jar lid if the manual told me to, but I'm sure a lot of people on here with more experience would just do it up "so tight".

Regarding the oil filter. If a filter wrench is not doing the job then you can always knock a screwdriver through it and remove it that way. Remember to smear some new oil on the seal when you fit the new filter.

Best thing i've found for removing and refitting the oil filter is a cheap (costs a couple of quid) silicone oven glove/mit thing like this: 26471.gif

Allows you to get a good grip on it and you can tighten/loosen without slipping. If that fails when removing the filter, a screwdriver stabbed through the side of filter should do the trick.

Jon

There is a crushable copper washer on most sump plugs. Fit a new washer and do the plug up finger tight so that you can see that the washer is trapped between the plug and the boss welded into the sump. Now, tighten the nut half a turn so that you can feel the washer deforming under the plug head, job done.

I would describe the amount of force required to tighten the nut as 'one grunt', i.e., just enough force to make you strain a little against the spanner. ;)

Chris

well thats exactly what i needed thanx peeps

I changed the injector harness on my td5 today and had to take the rocker cover off. To put it back on the bolts are sopposed to be tightened to 9 lbs torque but my torque wrench dont go under 10 lbs so I winged it. Hope its all good we will see

oap: tightening them to 10 wouldnt have caused a problem imo. Had you done it by hand though its very easy to put 25lbs into them and strip the threads!

I think its sometimes worth looking at the figures but i rarely actually use a torque wrench to do things up, unless its critical, like a cylinder head or main bearing caps.

you start to get a feel for how tight things should be by looking at the size of the fixing and what its holding on...

oap: tightening them to 10 wouldnt have caused a problem imo. Had you done it by hand though its very easy to put 25lbs into them and strip the threads!

I think its sometimes worth looking at the figures but i rarely actually use a torque wrench to do things up, unless its critical, like a cylinder head or main bearing caps.

you start to get a feel for how tight things should be by looking at the size of the fixing and what its holding on...

I done it by feel and I think its ok. I was afraid of striping the threads so I tested 10 lbs on my daughters bicycle and broke the bolt on the saddle. Better that than my landrover :D