Air Conditioning

Whilst collecting anything that might "come in" for the forthcoming rebuild of Pam's 90 I came across a complete TD5 Defender aircon system with everything bar the front grill panel and at the price it was I really couldn't resist.

All the pipes are there, the compressor, the receiver thing, radiator, fan, radiator support, complete dash panel etc...

The only problem I have is the compressor because I'm fitting a 3.9 V belt engine and the TD5 compressor, as well as mounting differently to the 3.9 one, has a serpentine style pulley on it.

So, do I..

a) Fit a V belt pulley to the front of the TD5 compressor and modify the mount to suit the compressor. (Are the pulleys/clutches a common fit and interchangeable between compressors like they are between alternators ?)

B) Fit a compressor off a 3.9 and somehow modify the plumbing so that it fits onto the TD5 pipework

Any thoughts/pointers/pitfalls in all this ?

Still trying to get hold of a cheap RR compressor ATM, have a couple of possibles lined up and one of them has pipes with it so that would make it easier to graft to the Defender system.

Does anyone know what pressure they run at ? Just wondering how easy it's going to be to join the RR pipes to the Defender pipes, the Defender pipes look to be aluminium ?

I've not ruled out using the TD5 compressor yet either.

Might be interested in the Td5 compressor if you do need to sell it on as I re gassed mine today and smoke started bellowing out of the front pully so I guess it's dead...

Mines a 98 99 Td5 110 with the flat type belt..

Can you pm me a price please..

Cheers

Dave..

Might be interested in the Td5 compressor if you do need to sell it on as I re gassed mine today and smoke started bellowing out of the front pully so I guess it's dead...

Mines a 98 99 Td5 110 with the flat type belt..

Can you pm me a price please..

Cheers

Dave..

I'll PM you if I decide to sell it, if it's just the clutch that's causing the problem I'll have a spare clutch/pulley assembly regardless, the only question will be if there's still a compressor attached :)

I'll PM you if I decide to sell it, if it's just the clutch that's causing the problem I'll have a spare clutch/pulley assembly regardless, the only question will be if there's still a compressor attached :)

Hi Dave,

thanks for your reply, keep me in mind..

cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...