300tdi power steering pump

Whilst replacing my water pump today I noticed that you can move the power steering pump shaft in and out of the casing about 1/2" is this normal?

It has been a little wet around the power steering pump and pipes but I haven't had any issues with lack of assistance to the steering, so thought everything was fine until now...

James

There should be no detectable movement other than rotational in the pump. The retaining pin inside it is wearing away. You might be able to replace the pin, but it's not a seperate part from Land Rover, and there's no rebuild kit available either. This is a picture of the pin and it's location on the shaft. The shaft is fitted from the inside, and then the pin is fitted to keep it in place in relation to the front bearing. On the outside - behind the pulley, there's a plate to assist in keeping the shaft bearing in place. The plate may have come loose, but generally - the plate is distorted by the forces trying to shove the bearing out. You can remove the plate and straighten it, and it'll be fine for a while, but it'll do it again. The plate isn't up to the job in my opinion.

post-2-1241637697_thumb.jpg

Les.

• 1 month later...
There should be no detectable movement other than rotational in the pump. The retaining pin inside it is wearing away. You might be able to replace the pin, but it's not a seperate part from Land Rover, and there's no rebuild kit available either. This is a picture of the pin and it's location on the shaft. The shaft is fitted from the inside, and then the pin is fitted to keep it in place in relation to the front bearing. On the outside - behind the pulley, there's a plate to assist in keeping the shaft bearing in place. The plate may have come loose, but generally - the plate is distorted by the forces trying to shove the bearing out. You can remove the plate and straighten it, and it'll be fine for a while, but it'll do it again. The plate isn't up to the job in my opinion.

post-2-1241637697_thumb.jpg

Les.

Has anyone successfully rebuilt a 300tdi ps pump ? my just started shredding the a rib off the serp belt and replacement cost is 3 x times what you guys pay in the UK for them.

You can get after market bearings (which also incorporate the seal), but the wierd gasket is not available (it's made out of imprinted silicone on transparent plastic). It's obviously a high pressure gasket, so I didn't think that one could be made. Here's what it looks like anyway.

post-2-1244357879_thumb.jpg

Les.

• 5 years later...

This is very old thread, but huddled under cover in the rain using the campsite's wifi, it helped me diagnose a shredding fan belt that had me stranded in the south of Spain. The pulley was coming forward and stripping the edge of the belt. I thought i'd try and contribute my experience as a bit of a thanks.

It made me realise I had to bite the bullet and get a new pump couriered out. After I returned home, I disassembled the pump and found that the pin had a step worn in it. The rest of the pump had hardly any wear in 160k miles, so i've no idea where the bits ended up. Likewise I have no idea what caused the step to be ground out in the first place.

post-18025-0-92410400-1417043611_thumb.jpgpost-18025-0-39739400-1417043613_thumb.jpg