what are GKN's worth ?

650 seems the going rate for these. The ones on ebay always seem to sit at a low level for a while and then shoot up to 650/700 in the last 10minutes. I was lucky with mine - it was just after xmas so i guess noone wanted to buy, as the one described above and i got it for 500. Was well chuffed!!

wouldnt it just be cheaper to install a disco transfer box?

Not so handy if you tow and find the original 1.4:1 ratios useful. Also, the ratio is higher in 5th+OD (28% increase on 5th) than 5th (15% increase over 1.4:1 5th) on a 1.2:1 so the overdrive makes for even quieter cruising (and perhaps better fuel economy and less engine wear)

There is a new one on eBay at the moment in case anyone is interested...

They want 1.5k for it, and seen as they don't make them any more I think this is a hefty price (well it's the same as what it was when they were still making them) for a piece of kit you might not be able to get spares for in the near future (correct me if I'm wrong on that one).

I'd love to buy the new one :( just can't simply afford it. I can get a brand new 1.2tbox for £700 delivered or a used GKN but you never know if they've been abused - I would much prefer the overdrive though but cost is a major issue :(

What would be your opinion on buying a used one Western?

If it has been abused, is it likely to damage other parts of the drivetrain should anything go wrong?

Really speaking, you could just take it off and put the PTO plate back on until you get it fixed, which I wouldn't mind, but I fear if it hasn't been serviced properly and something goes amiss I'll end up breaking something more expensive that would need to be sorted before it could be driven...

They are reasonably easy to repair, one of the bearings is a non standard size though and you'll only get it from D4x4. Had to do mine after it worked loose on the back of the Tbox.

What would be your opinion on buying a used one Western?

If it has been abused, is it likely to damage other parts of the drivetrain should anything go wrong?

Really speaking, you could just take it off and put the PTO plate back on until you get it fixed, which I wouldn't mind, but I fear if it hasn't been serviced properly and something goes amiss I'll end up breaking something more expensive that would need to be sorted before it could be driven...

go for it, my was used had around 10,000 miles on it, got it from a lro forum member. I love mine, makes motorway driving much better.

been fitted for nearly 4 years & done 53,000 miles since fitted, thought the speed sensor was giving up, but a change of fluid seems to have cured it, doesn't like low oil level, as there's only just over 1/2 litre in it.

I think they just need looking after. Perhaps more regular oil changes than originally reccomended by GKN, certainly regular checks that the oil level is ok. Mine was recently leaking from the seals on the adapter plate to the the transfer box. Devon 4x4 supplied me with heavy duty seals and all the gaskets. I ahd it off and fixed it and changed the main orange bearing on the adapter plate at the same time. Whilst it was off, i took it to bits completely (with a little advice from Sean on here adn the guys at Devon that deal with the repairs). Once i'd found a sneaky circlip hidden behind the oil pump cam, it came apart really easily and is a fairly simple thing really. Not too much i suppose other than a few 'simple' bearings and oil seals that can go wrong internally. Then there is the solenoid and the speed sensor externally. Devon can currently get all of these parts off the shelf and when i spoke to them, they thought they would be able to for the forseable future.

Fair enough if it gives you lower ratios in top...

Having looked at the gear ratios though, i cant really see the problem with the 1.2 box myself...

Our A4 crusies at an indicated 80mph (more like 75 on the GPS) doing 3krpm, the 1.2 box and 265/75r16's with a TDi R380 gives you 85mph at 3krpm...

I can see the point about towing, but that just means you need more power ;)