My girlfriend's sore backside

Help needed please. It's a Defender 90 with standard cloth seats and what I presume are the standard seat belt catches.

The driver and passengers seat belt lower catch are very stiff and stick right up between the seats. My partner is getting a bit fed up when she has to sit in the middle seat, my seat belt lower catch poking her 'wider-than-usual' bottom and causing general unhappiness and a constant pain in my lughole. I have no intention of changing her ass, that's just fine :-) However I wonder what options there are for changing the seat belt catch and whether there are any legal implications of changing it. I'd like to replace it with something much more floppy that will bend over towards me more and not cause discomfort.

Any advice?

Regards,

Dave.

the stalk head/mechanism is matched to the seatbelt tongue, so they have to be changed as a set, don't know of any floppy seatbelt stalks for 90/110.

if you do find a suitable replacement just make sure it matches the design of the tongue otherwise it won't connect & be safe.

could put a occasional use single side facing seat from a 90 SW in the back instead of using the middle front seat.

Have you considered the seat belt catches out of a Range Rover or Discovery. These have a section of seatbelt webbing between the catch and a clip on the end that fits through the loops attached to the floor. I'm sure something could be arranged to make them fit.

As for the legal implications, I would think that as long as the belts are fitted to the correct (and rust free) mounting points, there are no problems. This, of course, assumes that the belt works as it should WRT the recoil, etc...

As Ralph posted while I was typing, thought I'd add that maybe you could take the complete set of rear belts from a Disco/RR and replace the lot. Not sure about lengths, but the theory works in my head!!

my seat belts in the front of the 110 are the floppy one's on a fabric stalk, one is from a 109 and it matched the belt in th car, and the other we had in stock from old cars, we believe it is safe as i can not pull it out will all my force and the MOT people saif it was safe,

good luck

I'm not 100% this'll work but worth a go!

Try removing the seat squab from the drivers (or passengers) seat - I forget which side the stalk is now. Feed the stalk through the outer seats frame (you may need to unbolt it if the straps are very rigid), and then replace the squab.

The middle belts catch will now be held tight against the outer seat. Assuming you or the passenger seats occupant aren't similarly blessed in the ass department, all should be well! :)

I think this'll work. Before replacing my standard seats, I had the driver and passengers catches fed through in this way as it holds them steady and you could belt up one handed. I must admit I didn't try it with the middle one though as I had a cubby box.....

If it won't stretch that far, I don't see any reason why you couldn't piggy-back it onto the drivers/passengers mounting?