Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

spend all afternoon rebuilding my hub and swivel assembley just get it all fitted up and wheel back on. go for a test drive and dont get off my drive before the brake disk breaks off leaving half of it bolted to the hub and a nice metal ring spining around in the caliper. must have been corroded through but looked ok before hand.

now got both sides all striped off again and more parts coming form Paddocks :rolleyes:

Better on the drive than on the road!! :o:o:o

Count your blessings and fit the new ones! At least you know all the bolts will come undone easily! :lol::lol:

yeah i did thank my lucky stars lol, bolts are rock solid as the disc failed and came off like a huge polo leaving the center section still bolted to the hub :o

Hi i read in one of the landy mags recently that this happened to a disco any ideas on how to check ours???!!!!

Antony110

dont no how old, but they were far from worn out. only thing i can think to do is grab the top of the disk and give it a good shake and see if any cracks show up..

ill take a pick tomorrow and post it up..

spend all afternoon rebuilding my hub and swivel assembley just get it all fitted up and wheel back on. go for a test drive and dont get off my drive before the brake disk breaks off leaving half of it bolted to the hub and a nice metal ring spining around in the caliper. must have been corroded through but looked ok before hand.

now got both sides all striped off again and more parts coming form Paddocks :rolleyes:

:o Scarrrrry.. :(

Need to look a bit further into the detail here, not all of which is available to us.

We don't know how corroded the discs are, in that space between the friction surface and the disc centre.

The hub and swivel have just been rebuilt, so it's fairly safe to presume the caliper and pads have been removed and replaced.

The vehicle is old enough, or done enough work, to require a hub and swivel overhaul.

It seems reasonable to accept the possibility that the caliper is also not in 100% A1 condition.

Possibly not all the pistons move with the same speed - any effect on braking due to a partially seized piston may have been put down to the more obvious faults in the hub and swivel.

A possible end result is that the first time the brakes were applied the disc was not gripped evenly on both sides. The sideways force, combined with the disc rotating, snaps the disc.

Just adding a general principle here.

If the brake pads have been disturbed for any reason it's always wise to press the pedal one or more times to ensure the pads are moved against the disc BEFORE the vehicle is moved. If the pads were left someway from the disc it's possible for the pedal to hit the floor before the pads have clamped the disc. This is even more likely if part worn pads have been left in; they can have been moved further from the disc, compared to new pads.

HTH

think what may have caused it was when the bearing went it welded it self to the stub axle, it was a mission to get the bub off so im thinking maybe the disc took a wack or got levered againts etc..

i did press the brake several times before driving..

210520091050.jpg