CSW 110 tyre pressures???

On my Landrover Defender Td5 County Station Wagon 110 (year 2005) I have just fitted new Michelin LTX A/T '2' tyres (LT 235/85R16 120R). (The treads are different from the earlier LTX A/T.)

What pressures (front and back) and FULLY LOADED and NOT LOADED should these be run at? The LR handbook says “rear @ 48 psi” but this seems wrong.

On my Landrover Defender Td5 County Station Wagon 110 (year 2005) I have just fitted new Michelin LTX A/T '2' tyres (LT 235/85R16 120R). (The treads are different from the earlier LTX A/T.)

What pressures (front and back) and FULLY LOADED and NOT LOADED should these be run at? The LR handbook says “rear @ 48 psi” but this seems wrong.

The handbook is right - although most people only use 48 fully loaded as farm as i can tell. I run my tyres at 38 on the back and whatever the hanbook says (28?) on the front. You'll have a barrage of opinions in tyre pressures now, it comes down to personal preference within reason. Rightly or wrongly i don't alter the fronts, just the rears depending on load.

THe published pressures are correct for high speed laden use as otherwise the tyre gets far too hot. Personally I run mine at about 22/28 because of the low road speeds here and the fact that a few psi make a hell of a difference to ride, 20psi makes it feel like a different vehicle not to mention better flotation on soft ground. I definitely wouldn't recommend it at UK road speeds, but if you use 48psi on our roads here you might as well fit concrete wheels.

Thanks for replies. Reading what mmgemini posted, that seems to be lower pressures when laden (??).

I often have the combined circumstances of heavily laden and moderate or fairly severe off-road. So how about maybe 38 psi rear under those circumstances?

If you load upcorrectly, you shouldn't have a problem. Loading correctly means ALL the heavy stuff between the wheels or over the rear axle....

Somewhere on here is the "chalk" method of finding the correct tyre pressures....I'm sure somebody can find it.

mike