First service

First service done by myself, 150k km. Small one with only oil and filter change.

It went ok. Major mess, but successful (I think). Do have questions:

1] With the new diesel filter I tried to bleed the air out, loosening the small banjo bolt on the filter mounting. The priming lever on the lift pump had no effect. No resistance, not even a drop of diesel. I turned the vehicle on, and primed the immobiliser to be able to start the engine, to no avail. The tank was quite empty, and after putting 20l of diesel in, still zero. Phoned a guy, he reconed I should just kick the starter, something to do with the crank being in an unfavourable position???

Ended up filling the filter with diesel (nicely down the center) and putting it back. I suspect something wrong with the lift pump, but there are NO symptoms. It was replaced 20 000 km ago, cold start at first turn...

2] Filled her up with the highly reccomended Delo 400(local oil from Caltex). 7l in total. Quite a mess replacing the oil filter, nothing major. Did all according to the workshop manuel. Idle for 5 min, topped up, oil all good. Took her on the highway for about 20 km, and was amazed at what difference new oil can have (or am I just imagining it?) Annyway. Oil pressure on Madman EMS behaved exactly like normal, 1.8 bar to about 3.something (Saturday afternoon) Sunday night, going to church the cold pressure was about 4.4bar???? Heating the oil it came down to 2.5 This morning cold sart was at 3.6bar (like before) Why was there a spike in the pressure? Something to do with it standing more than 24hr?

Phoned a guy, he reconed I should just kick the starter, something to do with the crank being in an unfavourable position???

Depeding on where the engine stops, the lift pump can end up being on the cam, so the lever does nothing. Turning the engine over manually will drop it off the cam and it can be primed. Mine ran happily with a dead lift pump, so the pump could still be dead, ir the priming lever could have sheared, but the pump still works ok.

As for the oil pressure, I wouldn't worry. Let it stabilise and see what it reads.

normally a tdi will self prime the fuel filter, I never bleed mine after a fuel filter change, just start & let it idle for 5 mins.

true, me too; does that apply to the TD5 though, which is what we're talking about here, aren't we? :huh:

Yes, as does the 300tdi.

[edited to make me look smarter :D ]

not according to his signature --- '97 110 Tdi Hard Top

Ho hum, I'll just go back to bed.

ob1, I'd say unless you have a noticable lack of power, then the lift pump is fine and I wouldn't worry.

Doing all the work on your own truck is one of the joys of ownership :D

ob1, I'd say unless you have a noticable lack of power, then the lift pump is fine and I wouldn't worry.

Not necessarily, the TDi will happily run without a lift pump once the system is primed. The fuel is lifted by the injection pump.

I had exactly the same symtoms, lift pump wouldn't prime the pump. Took the lift pump off to find that the pin which drops down from the diaphragm into the fork from the arm that runs on the cam was sheared, the pump wasn't doing anything but the engine had been running fine up to that point.

Not necessarily, the TDi will happily run without a lift pump once the system is primed. The fuel is lifted by the injection pump.

I had exactly the same symtoms, lift pump wouldn't prime the pump. Took the lift pump off to find that the pin which drops down from the diaphragm into the fork from the arm that runs on the cam was sheared, the pump wasn't doing anything but the engine had been running fine up to that point.

Its your top end power that suffers when the lift pump goes - you notice it most as a reduced cruising speed on the motorway. They generally run ok at road speeds up to around 50, but even this can gradually fade off - i noticed it was related to how full the tank was.

Sounds like the cam wasnt in the right place in the original post to get the lever to do anything. A slight flick of the ignition would spin the engine round a tiny bit and allow the cam to sit differently and probably let the lever work - its just a matter of spining the engine tiny bit until this position is reached. Like Western says, no real need to do it, although if concerned you can always start the engine up and loosen the bleed screw a little as the engine is running to bleed it quicker, then tighten up when the air is all gone.