hard spots when steering

yogibear47.lee

hi all,

when i steer round a corner it has spot where the steering dont want to go round, just goes all hard in till you spin the wheel past it.

i took it off roading sunday it still doing it and after a few knocks on the front end (dont mean me hitting the front end on) the steering was fine, pulled up to work yesterday i heard a few knock and when i went home the steering was back to going hard again, i think it might be a nakered cv joint, my dad thinks it the steering box because it got alot of play in it.

what do you lot think it could be

cheers lee

The UJs on the steering column. There are 2 of them, one where the column comes through the bulkhead and one where it joins the steering box. On mine the one near the bulkhead was siezed in one plane. I dropped the drag link off the axle end with front wheels lifted off the ground. By manually turning the wheels side to side it was clear the problem was in the steering box/column side of the system and not anywhere in the axle/damper side of things. I then disconnected the steering column uj from the box and it was obvious that the UJ was seized at the other end.

i had a similar problem to this that turned out to be a dented steering damper which was catching as the steering went through its travel...

But i do agree with those who have suggested steering column UJs - it doesn't hurt to give them a drop of oil from time to time anyway.

hi all,

when i steer round a corner it has spot where the steering dont want to go round, just goes all hard in till you spin the wheel past it.

i took it off roading sunday it still doing it and after a few knocks on the front end (dont mean me hitting the front end on) the steering was fine, pulled up to work yesterday i heard a few knock and when i went home the steering was back to going hard again, i think it might be a nakered cv joint, my dad thinks it the steering box because it got alot of play in it.

what do you lot think it could be

cheers lee

just a thought but is the power s belt tight you never know