Portal Action Pics

RPR

Well, I've bored you all with shots of the Tonka axle swap etc., I thought you might want to see it in action a bit doing some rock work aux Etats Unis. This trail is in Western Massachusetts (say that 10 times fast!!) and the outing was with some very nice folks from the Bay State Rovers:

57168342.descent0468.jpg

As usual, photos do no justice to the gradient. The climb below was quite pucker inducing although it had lessened in severity at the top here. A few more inches in the wheelbase wouldn't have gone amiss. Need that roll bar soon...

57168347.hillclimb434.jpg

The weather was fab on Saturday

57168348.hillclimb437.jpg

57168352.reavey0459.jpg

57168354.tonka0491.jpg

And here's something you don't see over here - a couple of left hooker converted 2.5 na ex-MoD 90s

57168343.descent0475.jpg

57168345.greytruck0513.jpg

Nice trail, nice day, nice people. And the Tonka was very nice :D

with some very nice folks from the Bay State Rovers:

Need that roll bar soon...

Hey Richard,

nice pics as usual.

BTW,did you meet a guy called Scott (Preston)?

He runs a SII/90 hybrid and was a nice board-mate of mine.

As to the cage,are you going to fab it or buy it?

(plan A sounds obviously more appealing)

B)

Hey Richard,

nice pics as usual.

BTW,did you meet a guy called Scott (Preston)?

He runs a SII/90 hybrid and was a nice board-mate of mine.

As to the cage,are you going to fab it or buy it?

(plan A sounds obviously more appealing)

B)

Michele,

Don't know Scott but I would certainly like to see his rig. I would love to buy a cage for the Tonka but I can't find one anywhere. Looks like fabbing a hoop and struts is the way to go. But I will need to find someone to cut and stitch the tonneau cover around it. Not my area of expertise.

Mixing cage with hood does seem to throw up some challenges. I'm thinking I might end up going for a beefed up hoop and stays and going back to full tilt for day to day use instead of the 3 man tilt and fit my cut down bikini when its warm or I want the extra visability.

Michele,

Don't know Scott but I would certainly like to see his rig.(...)Looks like fabbing a hoop and struts is the way to go.

Hello Richard,

just heard from Scott via the Tdi list.

He moved some time ago so yet to understand where he lives now but will ask him so you two may meet on the same trail sooner or later.

As to the cage & soft top,get rid of the rag,build a cage and buy an umbrella

:D

Nice pictures as always!

Was thinking that it'd be best if you can talk to Badger Coach works, they are in Maine, US, and they did my half-cab for my NAS TD5 90 - canvas work is their forte!

If I were you, I'd forget the NAS type of cage and go with something independant of the top, keep the two items (cage/top) seperate.

Here are some pics of the Badger Coach works 1/2 cab:

Ruby_4_oclock.sized.jpg

Ruby_6_oclock.sized.jpg

Also, there are some stock LR parts that are allow for tight fitment between the doors and the top, these are sweet and are essential in rainy terrain - here in Dubai, its all about the A/C as you would know :)...

So yeah, bottom line, keep the cage and the top seperate, that's my take :)

I have looked at Badger and they are very good, but very pricey. There's no real problem with the soft top and tonneau that I have - just that I will have to cut and stitch the tonneau cover to have it fit around the hoop and stays, as was the case when it was running soft top back in Dubai:

Tonk21a.JPG