Megasquirt

Tomcat Nev

I have completed the instal of my megasquirt and more or less finished tuning the thing too.

In the end apart from a couple of errors in the Loom (my fault) and having to learn the tuning software it went very smoothly.

Had some funny looks whilst tuning though with me sat in the passenger seat with a lap top tapping away whilst flying by other cars.

No doubt about it a V8 at 6000rpm makes alot of noise :D and frightens people when you go by them (6000rpm is the equivilent of 69mph in top...... :) ) and if you live near Andover and Amesbury and wondered why there has been an Off Roader steaming up and down the A303 seemingly flat out just for the hell of it - then NO there was a purpose!

If i can work out how to post photo's then i will.

Cheers

Nev

My Megasquirt set up for those that might want to follow along this excellent path.

I have used a MS1 running the latest version of MS extra.

I use a Innovate wide band lamda controller and sensor - very compact unit and very cheap compared to the alternatives! This allows me to see what is happening in terms of Air/Fuel ratio and enables me to ensure that the engine is tuned reasonably safely. I will not know the exact power output but at least i will be the correct ball park.

Ignition is controlled using an EDIS8 and the MS extra, unit supplied by Bill S, these units end up coming in from the USA but by all accounts are super reliable - we will see.

I have used a crank sensor removed from late 90's Mondeo which also supplied the coil packs and RFi capacitors (condensors).

Crank wheel was supplied by Sensor Wheels.com and then machined slightly so that it could be fitted to my front pulley assembly.

Plug leads had to be custom made by Magnecor but the cost of this was the same as a set of their leads for a P38 Range Rover.

Photo's will be added in time but i am racing this sunday so am flat out getting ready for Sidbury (Tidworth)

Cheers

Nev

Ignition is controlled using an EDIS8 and the MS extra, unit supplied by Bill S, these units end up coming in from the USA but by all accounts are super reliable - we will see.

Begging hat on... I couldn't trouble you for a copy of your ignition timing table, could I? :)