Drill through chassis for Jate Rings or not?

SPendrey

Hi All,

I've read a number of threads about where to fit jate rings (probably one front and one rear), but my situation is this... I need the tow bar on the rear which prevents me from using the normal pre-drilled holes. Is there any problem drilling a new route through one side of the chassis at the rear, nearer the back? Are the existing holes 'hollow' or do they have a tube fitted/welded in? Other than introducing yet another point for rust to begin, are there any other issues to look for?

Not sure about the front yet, hoping to take the front valance off, cut out a small section and replace with the jate ring poking through... I read someone else did that.

Thanks,

Scott

Hi All,

I've read a number of threads about where to fit jate rings (probably one front and one rear), but my situation is this... I need the tow bar on the rear which prevents me from using the normal pre-drilled holes. Is there any problem drilling a new route through one side of the chassis at the rear, nearer the back? Are the existing holes 'hollow' or do they have a tube fitted/welded in? Other than introducing yet another point for rust to begin, are there any other issues to look for?

Not sure about the front yet, hoping to take the front valance off, cut out a small section and replace with the jate ring poking through... I read someone else did that.

Thanks,

Scott

If you have a towbar just fit a ball & pin hitch

da2123.jpg

that will be your rear recovery point which will pull equally on both sides of the chassis.

For the front you could source a product known as Jack Mates

jackmate.jpg

Which in my opinion work better then jate rings they used to around £60 a pair and supplied by David Bowyer

The other front option would be a steering guard with built in recovery points

cscozwrbwsyevvoivgnultmobvurazkvhkio.jpg

JATE rings shouldn't be clamped tight to the chassis as I under stand it, they should be free to swing. If you do just put JATE rings through drilled holes in the thin chassis they will wear very quickly.

If your keeping the tow bar then a clevis hitch like Karlo posted will be fine.

Great, thanks for the feefdback. So, the plan will be to get one of those ball and pin hitches for the back (mounted a bit higher up since the pin looks like it'll drag), and then jate rings on the front.

Thanks again.

Even if you have a tow ball/pin at the back for heavy recoveries I would still recommend using a bridle attached to 2 jate rings to spread the load to both chassis rails- tow balls are only as strong as the crossmember they are attached to...

True,

I have had one on the back of my Series1 since the 1980s with out problems.

Use the correct bolts and a large plate behind the crossmember.

Marc.

Even if you have a tow ball/pin at the back for heavy recoveries I would still recommend using a bridle attached to 2 jate rings to spread the load to both chassis rails- tow balls are only as strong as the crossmember they are attached to...

Surely on a Disco it bolts to both Chassis and Crossmember, well it did on mine.

i bought some jate rings through paddocks, they are extra wide and they fit around my steering guard which uses the normal jate ring holes. they fit very slack on the rear as i have no towbar fitted, but are getting swapped for some narrower ones as my mates jate rings on his defender are standard width and therefore his bull bars cannot be fitted. The one's from paddocks are not forged, just 3 pieces of galvanised steel welded together

The one's from paddocks are not forged, just 3 pieces of galvanised steel welded together

Be VERY Carefull as I have personally seen these bent deform and crack and near come apart

one thing you could do is ALWAYS use both together to lessen the forces involved, but FFS

do bear the above in mind, not being a kill joy - I'm just giving you a heads up that they

are poor for recovery - I'm not a huge fan of Cast Jate rings for HD recoveries either

but they are superior, at the end of the day its just 1 10mm bolt... in shear :o

Nige