2.25 Petrol Engine Upgrades

Mr Bean

Is it worth the hassle of changing a 2.25 (5 bearing engine) to a 2.5 out of a 90?

Or would it be better to buy a Stage 1 cylinder head from Turner Engineering and completely renew the ignition, carb and timing parts to get it running sweet as?

Opinions please...

Depends on costs, and the current state of the engines...

If 2.25 is in good condition, then the only cost will be the head + gaskets for the LR, and beer for you while you swap it over.

If the 2.5 is in good condition, the costs will be buying the engine, beer, sorting out a suitable exhaust and throttle cable, and you need an engine hoist if you don't already have one.

So, I would say the 2.25 with new head would be easier. Then upgrade the ignition to Megajolt and throw the dizzy away!

Why stop at Megajolt when Megasquirt is available? It would sit well with an engine bored out to +60 thou, cleaned up head with ~9.5:1 compression and a free flowing exhaust. FridgeFreezer will be along soon to evangelise.

Or, putting the cat amongst the pigeons - go for a TD/Tdi!

All depends what you want from the vehicle and how much you want to empty your pockets.

Isn't the down side that if you're in a remote area and something breaks you can't get spares.

I suppose so, but that's what breakdown cover is for! If I was going on an overland trip somewhere remote, I would return everything to standard spec because my multitool can fix most distributor problems. However, for economy, power, and loving the fact I could have a S1 with fuel injection, I will be looking at megasquirt before long!

If anyone can help me with parts/machining I will get on with megasquirt this winter...

you can tune a 4pot petrol quite significantly.

BUT

a - its costs loads :angry:

b - you WONT get V8 power <_<

c - you WILL get V8 fuel economy :blink:

its probably much easier to chuck a tdi in. simplifies the electrics somewhat, you'll have 110bhp and get near enough 30mpg.

you can tune a 4pot petrol quite significantly.

BUT

a - its costs loads :angry:

b - you WONT get V8 power <_<

c - you WILL get V8 fuel economy :blink:

its probably much easier to chuck a tdi in. simplifies the electrics somewhat, you'll have 110bhp and get near enough 30mpg.

got to agree with the above bought a 2.25 from ACR with the cam, carb, head, and exhaust, fitted megajolt and it goes quite well!

cost an absolute fortune if i did it again i would v8 it.

certainly not a patch on a good v8 maybe a sick 3.5 but not as good as expected.

fuel economy is a wose than a v8.

in other words DONT DO IT ! unless you really have to.

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Tuning the 2.25 Must read thread.

In short, the answer is no. You can get 2.5 performance out of a reasonable 2.25 without going over the top. But, you'll get more torque and power from a run down carbed, composite gasketed, low compression 3.5 V8 than you ever will out of the most tuned 2.5 that you can spend a large fortune on. And similar mpg. I get better mileage on my 3.5 with 3.9 fuel injection than I had on the ACR 2.25.

It is worth the hassle and effort to put a 3.5 in, and a good SIII box will take the torque as long as you are reasonable. Rover V8s are pretty inexpensive and a modest tidying up (not a rebuild) will still cost less than trying to get 100 hp out of a 2.25. Anyway, if you were after a repower, I would go V8. :D

I know this is the wrong vehicle i am talking about, but the engines involved are the same. I have an early 90 that had a 2.25 (or 2.3 as they called it) from the factory. I swapped to a 3.5 in October/November last year and have never looked back!

Much more relaxing to drive, never need to change gears- and the same fuel economy as before because i dont have to spank the thing to get it up to speed like i did with the 4-cylinder. The v8 is lighter too :) And it sounds nicer (although i do still love the kind of raspy 2.25 sound) :) And my heater works better too on cold wet days!

I do admit though, i would like to see someone MS a 2.25 just to see what the result was- wasn't someone going to do this with a VW throttle body or something?