A Starter a year?

I have had my 200Tdi 110 for 4 years and have just had the 4th starter solenoid pack up.

Any ideas? The rewind company took the last one apart and found the contacts severely corroded.

The only thing that occurs to me is that we live 400 yards from the sea.

Thanks.

Are your replacements Prestolite or Bosch?

Bosch are the original suppliers and their units tend to be much more durable than Prestolite, one of the main aftermarket brands.

A Bosch replacement will be around 50% more expensive than aftermarket alternatives.

John

Dont mean to hijack the thread but a quick question, I am in the middle of trying to get my starter motor off my Td5 defender and am just wondering how many bolts secure it on ? i can easly see 2 but there must be another one in a realy hard to reach place if anyone could take a pic it would be great.

Pretty sure OE on a 200Tdi may have been Valeo?

Chris

Correct, mines still the original starter after 14 years, never had a problem with it.

Prestolite is only fit for the rubbish bin, Bosch or Genuine LR part is the best replacement.

After chatting with a friend, it is clear that what I need to find is a high quality solenoid for the starter as it has been the

solenoids that have failed; the actual starters have been working fine.

I'll check what make I have and if a "genuine" solenoid is available before I buy a new Bosch unit.

Should this starter motor have a heat shield on it to protect it from the exhaust?

My 200TDi (Def spec) doesn't have one on, but that's not to say it shouldn't have one on!

my retro-fit kit 200tdi doesn't have the starter heatshield either.