200TDi radiator / intercooler on a 2.5 TD (19J)

Does any one else run a 2.5 TD (19J) on a 200TDi radiator and intercooler? Mine gets to the end of the white bit after prolonged high speed ( :huh::lol::rolleyes::D:P:blink: ) running. Foolishly I didn't flush the eblag radiator prior to fitting, so that's one job, but I wondered what (if any) experience anyone else had?

Yes, I know I should have just added an intercooler in front of the old TD radiator, but I don't have the money and Santa could only run to re-trim kit this year :( ("Dear Santa, can I have a PRC0001 (oil leak, 90 / 110), LR special tool 001 (4lb, hickory handle) ..")

a Defender 200Tdi rad/intercooler will fit but don't expect to much improvement in performance from the TD engine, the intercooler will help with the heat stress the engine suffers from.

Thanks Western, I did it after reading threads on dead 2.5TD engines which mentioned heat stress, as a 10% improvement on terrible isn't really a good reason ;) . It needed a little jiggling of the upper brackets to fit and some bespoke turbo pipes (welded up form a clothes line post - £6 from a builder's merchant). Strangely there is a standard top hose to connect it up, which I wasn't expecting. It has helped the mid-range a little and the economy is up by a little over 1 mpg (don't laugh, thats about 5%!).

While I'm here, I moved the wastegate pickup point to be after the IC, do you know what the correct maximum boost pressure for a 2.5TD is / should be? 'cos the post IC air is denser, I think I need to tweak the wastegate, or has my physics failed me? My gauge reads .5 bar flat out.

Ta

Does any one else run a 2.5 TD (19J) on a 200TDi radiator and intercooler? Mine gets to the end of the white bit after prolonged high speed ( :huh::lol::rolleyes::D:P:blink: ) running. Foolishly I didn't flush the eblag radiator prior to fitting, so that's one job, but I wondered what (if any) experience anyone else had?

Yes, I know I should have just added an intercooler in front of the old TD radiator, but I don't have the money and Santa could only run to re-trim kit this year :( ("Dear Santa, can I have a PRC0001 (oil leak, 90 / 110), LR special tool 001 (4lb, hickory handle) ..")

I'm considering adding an intercooler to my 2,5 TD as well.

I would be gratefull for pictures of your installation.

I'm considering adding an intercooler to my 2,5 TD as well.

I would be gratefull for pictures of your installation.

No problem, though it might be a while before it stops raining long enough!

Western, spot on then (well, 0.03 of a bar over - you and your baroque units!) Thanks.

For the benefit of posterior posterity 48cmHg is 480 millibars, or 0.4737 bar, or 6.96 psi or 48 kPa or 360 torrs (never heard of that one ...)

one question, original motor "19J" of land rover defender 90 TD has a intercooler?

kam

In my second hand Land Rover 90 TD motor "19J" so i thinck is not original this intercooler, but not bad :-)

kam

post-17523-1245571723_thumb.jpg

There is NO intercooler fitted to your vehicle. the air cleaner big hose on a intercooled vehicle doesn't go straight to the turbo.

Wahey, no rain, so pictures of 200TDi radiator and intercooler on a 2.5TD engine:

post-8420-1245691284_thumb.jpg

Shows top pipe and newer (blue) pressure lines for injector pump, boost gauge and wastegate. Also note surgically modded fan cowl and 200Tdi cyclonic oil trap (drains to extra branch off the turbo drain - it was easiest)

post-8420-1245691392_thumb.jpg

Close up of top and bottom pipes, engine end. The connection of the bottom one to the manifold is not my proudest moment and is on the list of things to tidy up. The pickup for the injector pump, boost gauge and wastegate is just behind the air inlet hose, so it reads the pressure after the intercooler, which means you don't have to twiddle the wastegate (thanks Western - <sings>I can see clearly now ...</sings>)

post-8420-1245691607_thumb.jpg

Bottom pipe, intercooler end. It has to go through the legs of the air filter to avoid the cowl. That said, the cowl is coming off to make way for a nice pair of electric fans soon, but it's out of the way.

Hope that inspires.

No problem, though it might be a while before it stops raining long enough!

Western, spot on then (well, 0.03 of a bar over - you and your baroque units!) Thanks.

For the benefit of posterior posterity 48cmHg is 480 millibars, or 0.4737 bar, or 6.96 psi or 48 kPa or 360 torrs (never heard of that one ...)

got that 48cm figure from the Defender workshop manual :D

There is NO intercooler fitted to your vehicle. the air cleaner big hose on a intercooled vehicle doesn't go straight to the turbo.

This was confusing me - but i think there may be an intercooler fitted under the heater air intake on here as it looks like a left hand drive model, so there is a space on here where we'd normally see the heater intake. - if you look closely, i can just see a tube running from the turbo to the space under the wing intake. I reckon the intercooler is under there and the pipe to the inlet manifold must come out behind the washer resovoir...

that other pipe look to big to be a intercooler air pipe. & the outside air should be passed through the air cleaner first before going to the turbo compressor or intercooler.

It is i think... Have another look. Follow the bright blue dot - intake to air filter, then the red to the turbo, then yellow to intercooler and i think the purple dots (these may be in the wrong place) are over the intercooler to inlet manifold pipe....

post-12362-1245698761_thumb.jpg

other photo

post-17523-1245736943_thumb.jpg

is mounted correctly ??

i have buy thist land rover from other italian guy, i think so is after market product this intercooler.

kam

Its not mounted in the 'normal' place for an intercooler, but there is no normal intercooler for this engine. Allisport do a kit that sits in front of the rad and the pipework goes under the rad. Your pipework is fitted in the right way, air inlet, to air filter to turbo, to intercooler and then to inlet manifold and the scoop on the wing should increase airflow through the intercooler so it should be fine - also has the advantage of shorter pipework compared to the Allisport design which i reckon will decrease air warm up in the pipes perhaps?

I have considered doing this to mount a second inline intercooler to my 200tdi (don;t know how much improvement this would make but have read about intercoolers in series), but i have the disadvantage of a heater inlet in the lay there!

Strange place to put an intercooler. Airflow is ok on one side, but will be severely restricted by the inner arch on the other. No signs of any fixings either, unless they are elsewhere. So it looks like it's just been jammed in there - not good if that's the case as the cooler will be alloy and easily damaged.

Les.

Guest otchie1

Still, intercooling a 19J will inevitably lead you on to discover why they weren't ever fitted as standard - the poor engine is at the edge of what it can do and the extra strain of the marginal increase in power from an intercooler might just push it over the edge. Certainly don't go all boosty on it as it will break.

Well maybe, but if it looks like it is, then I wouldn't rely on the difference all that much if I was working the engine hard. Severely restricted airflow as it appears to be will make little difference in my opinion.

Could be a Tesco truck - every little helps :)

Les.

the air cleaner big hose on a intercooled vehicle doesn't go straight to the turbo.

Oh yes it does. :) Intercooler is after the turbo.

From that picture, the post turbo pipe looks to be going forward as though an IC might be fitted.