Tyres....

BogMonster

Can anybody point me in the direction of a specification that defines "anti FOD tyres" as used by the military on operational runways etc?

I need to know for something at work ... but nobody seems to know what they are! Google doesn't tell me anything useful except suggesting that maybe I meant "anti fog", which I didn't :rolleyes: - Wolfram Alpha tells me that a "fod" is 12.365 inches which wasn't very helpful either :unsure:

Depending on how big a bit of debris you consider FOD (Foreign Object Damage for anybody who doesn't speak militarese - think Concorde... metal/tyre/boom = best avoided) and what you are trying to avoid, the requirement could be quite different. A large chunky MT tread would be better in some respects because you could clearly see anything big enough to be caught in the tread, while a very fine road type pattern might be better as it could only get very small stones caught in the tread, however these would be harder to see on a visual check, swings and roundabouts :unsure:

The only true anti FOD tyres would be slicks but I'm guessing somewhere there is a defined specification for such a thing.

Has anybody in the military or the aviation industry got any ideas about this please?

Ta :)

Had a quick look on google but it suggested anti FORD tyres :lol:

Only useful looking bit I found was:

CASE POL 3 - Tires for Refueling Vehicles/ FOD Hazard, R. Thomas

Problem: Stones being picked up in the tire treads of aircraft refueler

trucks and dropped on the aircraft parking apron, creating a F.O.D. (Foreign

Object Debris) hazard.

Symptom: Engine damage to aircraft and G.S.E. (Ground Support Equipment)

turbine engines due to F.O.D. pickup by air intake.

Collection of Facts: Due to the location of many Navy refueler fill stands,

and the roads traveled by refuelers, stones are picked up in the truck tire

treads. When anti-F.O.D. tires are used, tread life is short, and there is

still some stone pickup which must be removed.

Solution: Field tests have been initiated and completed at NATC Patuxent

River using "racing slick" type recap tires on refuelers. They carry no

F.O.D. and results show about l/3 more tire life than threaded tires.

Traction has proven to be excellent in all types of weather-rain, ice and

snow. Stations and contract refuelers now have the option to go to "slick"

tires and feed-back from the field is showing similar good results.

Commercially, Dulles Airport is now using "slick" tires on their "people

movers" to transfer passengers from the terminal to the aircraft out on the

flight line.

as I work on a live airbase & all the vehicles that have airside clearance just have standard manufacturers fit tyres as all of the anti FOD tyres have disappeared from service vehicles these days, or new MAN refuellers wear standard truck highway tyres as does the runway sweeper, the bird control LR110 runs on all terrins [goodyear or michelin]

the main anti fod measure now is a drive over grid to shake out stones & then stop & carry out a visul check.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a specification that defines "anti FOD tyres" as used by the military on operational runways etc?

A pedant might suggest that if you are only on runways/hardened surfaces, you don't need such tyres. They would only be useful if you leave the hardened surfaces and go on the grass/unmade up surfaces where you can pick up stuff.

Practically speaking there must be a balance between not picking the stuff up in the first place, and it being easy to identify and clear junk.

Cheers

Blippie

as I work on a live airbase & all the vehicles that have airside clearance just have standard manufacturers fit tyres as all of the anti FOD tyres have disappeared from service vehicles these days, or new MAN refuellers wear standard truck highway tyres as does the runway sweeper, the bird control LR110 runs on all terrins [goodyear or michelin]

the main anti fod measure now is a drive over grid to shake out stones & then stop & carry out a visul check.

Cheers Ralph :) - yes thats what they do here - rumble strip and then visual inspection, I've been in vehicles that have crossed the runway and had to stop for this.

The official answer seems to be that there isn't an exact spec - something along the lines of an all-terrain tyre with a slightly more open tread than road tyres but not a full MT is as close as there is to a specification. That'll do ;)

Ta for the help