problem!!

i had my wheels off yesterday and saw a the inside of my rear disk coverd in oil!! and the inside of the rim as well as the caliper.. i recon its the hub seal i just want to conferm it before i rip it apart.. theres a piccy so you can look..

there has been no change in brake fluid so that hub seal is the only thing i can think off!!#

cheers sam

post-13115-1246551872_thumb.jpg

i had my wheels off yesterday and saw a the inside of my rear disk coverd in oil!! and the inside of the rim as well as the caliper.. i recon its the hub seal i just want to conferm it before i rip it apart.. theres a piccy so you can look..

there has been no change in brake fluid so that hub seal is the only thing i can think off!!#

cheers sam

Hi Sam,

How about a picture of the Hub? The disk and Pad shot does not really help:)

In my quick opinion you are probably correct in your assumption.

Marc.

i had exactly the same happen on my disco, and it ended up being the axle breather being blocked up, pressurising the casing, and blowing oil out of the hub seal!

cleared out the axle breather and it was fine ever since.

only took 5 mins..

CURLY

Yep. Not too much of an issue. New seal and check the bearings at the same time and it'll all be good again.

I know it goes without saying but........ you will replace the brake pads won't you? :blink:

The disc will just need a good clean with brake cleaner, petrol or a similar solvent.

Regards,

Mark.

cheers chaps.

need to get that sorted ASAP.

yeah i will be changing the pads. been told i do not need to but i will anythink so i have peace of mind.

so cleaning the breather as well as changing the seal then jobs a gooden?

cheers sam

yeah i will be changing the pads. been told i do not need to but i will anythink so i have peace of mind.

Whoever told you that doesn't really know what they're talking about I'm afraid.

Once brake pads/shoes have been contaminated with oil/grease it's virtually impossible to clean them properly. Cleaning the surface doesn't help because as soon as they get hot, through use, whatever contaminate is in them will bubble up to the surface.

Lecture over, :D

Best regards,

Mark.

Definitely replace the pads. On my 90 I only replaced my rear brake shoes a month and a half ago, and now I need to do it again because the other rear hub's oil seal has failed.

I guess it's my fault for not re-building both hubs at the time, and assuming the other one was okay :(

woops lol..

i just found out that the side that seals blown the wheel bearing just gone.. now im getting really p***d off.. i noticed ther pinion seal poped as well so as matey said the breather must be bunged up!!

so its worth doing both side at the same time.. i tihnk i might do bith C.V at the same time.. as the left has gone for the second time. it gone again due the bloke i sent it put a second hand one it!!!

anyway..

cheers sam