Coil Spring Rubbers

PaulN

Changing my coils on the Disco for some HD ones.

Just done the rears and almost missed these rubber sheath bits on the old ones.

One left on and one taken off for photo.

Anyone know what they are for?

Some sort of protection I would guess - but there's nothing to chafe against?

They don't appear to be fitted low enough to the bottom plate to stop any chattering.

There are holes in them presumably for drainage.

As they are split along the underside and are in good nick they can be cleaned up and slid back onto the new ones but why? :huh:

post-12912-1246830804_thumb.jpg

Ooops! :rolleyes:

Thank you Les.

Doesn't work too well does it if it can crawl out and up to 2nd and 3rd coils on both springs!

Will do front springs and then get them on - ho hum.

Dad said I'd always learn the hard way!! :(

It appears to be broken, It shouldnt have a gap in it...

Do you mean the slit all the way along its length or the fact that both have 2 ends? :unsure:

Just done the fronts - no rubbers there!

Had cleaned the rubbers up for re-use but going to try for a few days without to see if it makes a clatter over the rough stuff (never heard anything before when the weren't in the right place - and none on front).

But if you reckon they're broken - may need to get new.

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/cart/ima...SC09134_-01.jpg

It looks like that when new, yours appears to be split...

Are you sure that they are the same thing?

Your pic looks like a solid rubber ring for fitting under the spring, whereas the other looks like a sleeve that fits around the spring coils?

My impartial veiw. :unsure:

Marc.

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/cart/ima...SC09134_-01.jpg

It looks like that when new, yours appears to be split...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies so far.

The image that 'Aragorn' shows is the fella that sat at the top of the rear springs - that's ok and working.

The bit I'm referring to is a bit like a bike inner tube with perforations along its length.

It does have a split all along its length and we found these (as shown in the pic - one off the spring and the spring in the photo still shows the other untouched between coils 2 and 3.

I have done about 6o miles in the her today - She's a 1996 300tdi Les - and the stance, ride and response is much better - very pleased. :D

These rubbers weren't at the bottom any way and I hadn't noticed any chatter - and haven't noticed any movement yet - does anyone else have them in?

What are they really called and are they easy to get.

There wasn't anything on the bottom of the fronts and my Defender doesn't have then anywhere!!

If they are suppose to be at the bottom of the spring I'd better get some - I'm all for doing it right and for noise cancelation as per 'Anderzander's' comment.