RRC HD/police spec springs

vegeta

Hello.

Saw a few time ago a post from someone talking about some hd/police spec springs.

I need to buy some for my RR, and i need the reference of the springs

Anyone has that info, or know where i should look?

thanks!

Thanks Pete. Very usefull info.

But I still can figure out the front ones. I'll keep searching.

I don't think the police fitted HD front springs.

The HD rears were just to take the extra weight of all the kit they carted around.

Lots of springs to choose from so you should be able to find a suitable spring for the front.

Thanks Pete. Very usefull info.

But I still can figure out the front ones. I'll keep searching.

I think the front springs are green stripe , I seem to remember those being on my ex police 3.9 RRC,but I think that greens are standard rears .so if you have greens on the rear just put them on the front with red/white on the rear,it should give about 2 inches of lift.

Steve.

"Police" spec are red / white 170 lbs and around (memory :blink: ) 17.19" loength (Yes I need to get out more :P )

Fitted as the older Police RRs had no end of kit in the back for traffic duty, these just were stronger / longer than std srpings, don't

forget RR have / had the Bodge lever system, so not the same shoving R & Ws on a 90 :blink:

As it was for Kit in the front their is / was / isn't RR Police fronts as they didn't carry kit on the bonnet :lol:

I woyuld suggest you measure pre fit height datum points, then fit and re measure.

Look up in the spring specs a RR front spring Poundage / length, then look for a spring same poundage but longer to bring up level by

how much your has been raised, if you stick to the same poundage then its the length extar your looking for, change the poundages and its a bit more fun, but use LR90 spring calc on his website (link in his sig)

HTH

Nige

Hello.

Saw a few time ago a post from someone talking about some hd/police spec springs.

I need to buy some for my RR, and i need the reference of the springs

Anyone has that info, or know where i should look?

thanks!

Found a set of Police spec springs at M&M 4x4. They sell the fronts and rears seperate too. I was thinking about puttinfg these on my LSE when she's solid.

http://www.mm-4x4.com/springs--shocks-npro...age-2-327-c.asp

^^^^^

Read the post, there is no such thing as "Police spec fronts"

Anything cheap / non genuine / britpart etc is also liable to be "Variable" on tolerances

if you want exactly the right lift of 170lbs / 17.19" etc then buy Genuine you know then exactly what

you are getting and not some cheap sh*te. I doubt the Police Buyers said oh look Police spec

springs and they are only 3d thats a huge saving on Genuine LR stuff, they will be perfect and last well :rofl:

If you are after springs for a specific purpose then they have to be either Genuine LR or Old man Emu IMVHO

anything else sort of tends to have the issue of being about as good as a Chocolate Dpistick so when they sag

after 6 months or don't level up when shoved on and the supplier says "What do you expect ?" you'll get

what you pay for

Of Course now I'll have a plethora of I bought Brits**te springs for my Rangeovery and they are wickid type replies :lol:

I have lost count over the years of how many people I have seen / known throw cheap non genuine / OME spring in

the skip with the "Never a F gain" type comments, but hey ho what do I know :)

Nige

Of Course now I'll have a plethora of I bought Brits**te springs for my Rangeovery and they are wickid type replies :lol:

Happy to oblige! I found the Police spec ones from Paddocks perfectly satisfactory and long lasting. Whilst I didn't use a dial gauge to check the ride height every 10 miles to assess sag, I noticed no deterioration.

^^^^^

Read the post, there is no such thing as "Police spec fronts"

Anything cheap / non genuine / britpart etc is also liable to be "Variable" on tolerances

if you want exactly the right lift of 170lbs / 17.19" etc then buy Genuine you know then exactly what

you are getting and not some cheap sh*te. I doubt the Police Buyers said oh look Police spec

springs and they are only 3d thats a huge saving on Genuine LR stuff, they will be perfect and last well :rofl:

If you are after springs for a specific purpose then they have to be either Genuine LR or Old man Emu IMVHO

anything else sort of tends to have the issue of being about as good as a Chocolate Dpistick so when they sag

after 6 months or don't level up when shoved on and the supplier says "What do you expect ?" you'll get

what you pay for

I have lost count over the years of how many people I have seen / known throw cheap non genuine / OME spring in

the skip with the "Never a F gain" type comments, but hey ho what do I know :)

Nige

Guess i'm showing i'm a newbie at this, that's why i joined this forum so i only make an ass off myself on here and not out n about with my landie.

Big learning curve for me. I'll try not to embarass myself again.

Kris

^^^

:rofl:

Sorry didn't mean it like that :)

Unfortunately there are a large number of rip off merchants,

Cr*p parts manufactuers and similarly suppliers peddling stuff

that is near junk, do a search on 'Britpart waterpumps' as a example :o

Springs are often dimissed as just curly things fitted underneath and forgotten

not so - the poundages / length and varinats between minor model differences is staggering

yet some muppet companies do a "One size fits all for 5p" type nonsesne and rip people off

with sh*te - some Genuine stuff is remarkably good value too, some cheaper than the pattern junk

because people think Genuine = fortunes, not always so.

There are a few other decent sping manufactuers - Old Man Emu IMHO is one of the

very best - but they are not cheap, poss more than genuine, but damned good, but

springs is something that IMHO you should get right, so research is key coupled with what

you are trying to achive.

Sorry if my soap box clipped your ear :lol: not intended :) . You are however right about this forum

there are a very large number of Members who frequent here with a miriad of Skills and Knowledge

and you'll always get unbiased help and advice :)

Nige

OK to clear a little confusion and obfuscation, this is what I had fitted to both my RRC V8 and my Dad's RRC V8, both ended up a bit higher (maybe 1") with a decent ride and handling. The springs came from Paddocks and cost about a tenner each. I had Monroe shocks, dad had standard £5 shocks.

The parts book says:

NRC4304 - Spring, rear, Police Spec, Red/White Stripe

NRC2119 - Spring, front, RH, Diesel. Green stripe.

NRC4305 - Spring, front, LH, Diesel. Red/yellow stripe.

Maybe not the definitive combination but I can say it definitely does work.

OK to clear a little confusion and obfuscation, this is what I had fitted to both my RRC V8 and my Dad's RRC V8, both ended up a bit higher (maybe 1") with a decent ride and handling. The springs came from Paddocks and cost about a tenner each. I had Monroe shocks, dad had standard £5 shocks.

The parts book says:

NRC4304 - Spring, rear, Police Spec, Red/White Stripe

NRC2119 - Spring, front, RH, Diesel. Green stripe.

NRC4305 - Spring, front, LH, Diesel. Red/yellow stripe.

Maybe not the definitive combination but I can say it definitely does work.

Why the different springs on LH and RH Front?

Thanks Kris

thanks FridgeFreezer.

That's preety much what i was going for. The only this is that my 300Tdi weights alot more than the V8. Please correct me if i'm wrong!

Your RRC sits up straight? No front lower than rear and stuff like that?

Dom you know if passdock's springs are genuine or britpart stuff?

^^^

:rofl:

Sorry didn't mean it like that :)

Unfortunately there are a large number of rip off merchants,

Cr*p parts manufactuers and similarly suppliers peddling stuff

that is near junk, do a search on 'Britpart waterpumps' as a example :o

Springs are often dimissed as just curly things fitted underneath and forgotten

not so - the poundages / length and varinats between minor model differences is staggering

yet some muppet companies do a "One size fits all for 5p" type nonsesne and rip people off

with sh*te - some Genuine stuff is remarkably good value too, some cheaper than the pattern junk

because people think Genuine = fortunes, not always so.

There are a few other decent sping manufactuers - Old Man Emu IMHO is one of the

very best - but they are not cheap, poss more than genuine, but damned good, but

springs is something that IMHO you should get right, so research is key coupled with what

you are trying to achive.

Sorry if my soap box clipped your ear :lol: not intended :) . You are however right about this forum

there are a very large number of Members who frequent here with a miriad of Skills and Knowledge

and you'll always get unbiased help and advice :)

Nige

no prob m8 :) , i would rather hear your honest opinions and suffer an ear bashing so long as i learn something :blink: .

"Why the different springs on LH and RH Front?"

To compensate for the weight of the driver, as usually the vehicle is occupied by driver only. Especially if he's a of a FB :lol:

Aaah (lightbulb above head moment :rolleyes: ). I'll need a really strong spring for me then (Truck drivers bum :P )

Thanks Kris

The parts book shows most if not all the rears as being the same both sides, whereas there are some fronts which are the same both sides and some which are different. I just picked a likely looking pair from something with a heavier engine.

Springs and combos take some working out

Factory wise there are different springs for LH and RH Drive, although the engine is

in the same place the effect of going LH from RH makes the balances different - more

so than you might think. Differing model years have differing springs - again often

down to something a simple as the kit fitted being heavier / extar / different places etc.

(0s for example have springs dep on engines, but its not just to do with the engine weights - for

example 200/300 cast blocks so much heavier than a V8, yes, but then look at where the

V8 Sits in the bay factory fitted - well forward over axle etc, vs the TDis are well back, almost behind the axle

so the weight being different between the engines is one thing - positioing also then affects the spring ratings

Length vs Poundage is the other thing, there are a number of springs from say 160-180 lbs, not a huge amount of spring lbs

varaince, but the lengths can be from prob sub 14" to 18" :)

It may pay you to idebntify what LR fitted as std colour and spec wise to as close a LR as you are looking to pop them on

it would at least give you a reasonable place to start, and you can always either ask for views on what and why you have

chosen what to fit, and ask for thoughts and / or use LR90 spring calculator, but for that you will have to get the LR

weighed at a public weighbridge front and rear axles on the bridge at a time so as to know what each end weighs

HTH

Nige