Header tank in tdi?

jericho

The standard plastic header tank for a tdi (I have a 300 engine) will not fit in the engine bay over the inner wing,so I thought of fitting the old style copper tank.The vehicle is non standard.

However,the tdi one has two hose attachment points out of the bottom(one big,one small) and the copper tank has a big one out of the bottom and a small one back in at the top.

Does it matter if small/return pipe enters the tank above or below the water level?

The hose should enter below the coolant level so that no air returns into the cooling system. Air is forced out, you don't want it back in the engine.

I managed to get the Disco expansion tank in my engine compartment. I placed it to the left of the series 3 radiator. No idea if your using the same radiator, Jerry.

Todd.

• 4 weeks later...
The standard plastic header tank for a tdi (I have a 300 engine) will not fit in the engine bay over the inner wing,so I thought of fitting the old style copper tank.The vehicle is non standard.

However,the tdi one has two hose attachment points out of the bottom(one big,one small) and the copper tank has a big one out of the bottom and a small one back in at the top.

Does it matter if small/return pipe enters the tank above or below the water level?

don't see why it wopuld fit a Series LR

I've got one on my 200Tdi engined 110.

post-20-1249506473_thumb.jpg

The black tank is prone to splitting along its seam

the later White one is the one to look out for.

The black tank in our Disco leaked, but the one I have on my hybrid is still leak free.....touch wood. ;)

Todd.

The hose should enter below the coolant level so that no air returns into the cooling system. Air is forced out, you don't want it back in the engine.

I managed to get the Disco expansion tank in my engine compartment. I placed it to the left of the series 3 radiator. No idea if your using the same radiator, Jerry.

The old ones had the little hose go to the air space. It works fine. Air can not accumulate in teh radiator as gravity forced the air out. The level of coolant in the tank should be higher than the radiator.

I actually think the newer one is worse as air can get trapped in the radiator as gravity can not force it out easily.