water pump stc483

tillmannz

A while ago I fitted a cheap pump to mine.

Refilled the system, ran it up to temp & it promptly leaked out of the hole under the nose.

Took it off, took it back, fitted the replacement. Did exactly the same as the other one.

Got money back & bought one from the franchised dealer. No further problems.

Britpart ones seem to be highly variable - I've fitted one before and run it for tens of thousands of miles without a problem. Others on here have had them last only a few thousand miles or even, IIRC, less than a day. Personally, I'd pay the money and get a genuine one, even though I got away with it last time.

RPI are a supplier not a manufacturer - you'd have to ask them what make it is. Never heard of Quinton Hazell, but they appear to be a manufacturer - wonder if they're the OEM? They don't appear to sell direct to retail anyway, so unless you can find someone who stocks them you can't buy one.

Stick with genuine LR, but whatever you do decide to buy, make sure you replace the pump bolts (11mm headed small diameter UNC) bolts with new ones as 3 of mine sheared when I was re-assembling the pump using a ratchet and socket alone, that was before I'd even gone near them with a Torque Wrench (Torque setting is 28Nm).

Has anyone heard of Airtex as a brand of car parts (not as in the t-shirts)? I'm sure I have a vague memory of someone saying they were an OEM manufacturer, but can't find anything to back that up.

I found this when looking for a 200Tdi Disco pump. It costs more than the Allmakes version, so I would like to think it's a bit better - not that price is ever a guarantee of anything :unsure:

Yes I would normally go genuine, but this is for someone on a limited budget, and we are trying to avoid a Britpart episode!

The STC483 i recently ordered from paddocks was listed with a G suffix which usually indicates an OEM part so i took the chance on it.

It came in a plain brown box, so i can only imagine its not britpart, no idea who did actaully make it though.

Its not leaked yet, but its only been on a few weeks and trucks only been driven a handful of times.

Will just see how it goes.