Why Is My Gear Oil Black?

I've noticed my gear changes becoming a bit notchy recently, so today I dropped the gear oil and flushed it through.

There was the usual swarf/filings on the plug, as expected, but also the oil was quite black.

This oil was changed about this time last year, we had no MTF75 left at the time so I used 75/80 which I reckoned was 'about right' :rolleyes: .

I flushed it through and refilled with MTF75 today, and the gear changes have improved.

On our commercials the oil nearly always comes out the same colour it went in.

So what causes the gear oil to go black?

Probably because you put the wrong oil in and ran it for a year :rolleyes:

MTF 75W-90 is a highly shear stable, multigrade manual transmission fluid. It is

designed for transmissions and transaxles which require an API GL-4, SAE 75W-90 viscosity

lubricant, as specified by Ford, G.M.H., Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Daihatsu and others.

Don't forget that inside LT77/77s & R380 main gearboxes is a oil pump, any fluid thicker than the LR spec's will cause problems with lubrication/running of the oil pump.

these boxes are designed for ATF ...thin as water ....people MUST check mfg. specs.!

MTF 75W-90 is a highly shear stable, multigrade manual transmission fluid. It is

designed for transmissions and transaxles which require an API GL-4, SAE 75W-90 viscosity

lubricant, as specified by Ford, G.M.H., Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Daihatsu and others.

So EP90 effectively - which is very definitely NOT suitable for R380's.

They originally used ATF then moved to MTF94, it's well documented on Ashcrofts site and has been asked on here at least two or three times before.

MTF94 has been fine in my lt77 for 2-3years now.

However on a seperate note-I changed the 'box oil awhile ago and found black flakes of material in the drained oil and in the seperate 'box filter extension. turns out the inside casings are sometimes painted and can flake away. Not sure if it was the MTF that caused it-but had no issues sinceand the box is sweet even on cold morning 1st to 2nd changes.

Pity the output shaft splines are nearly shot though!

My error, refilled with MTF94, not MTF75 :blush: .

I used Castrol EPX 75w/80 last time, which I understand is the same viscosity as MTF94 (and considerably thinner than 75/90 or EP90 as has been suggested).

There is a huge difference between 75/80 and MTF94. Not sure what is MTF75?

:unsure: I was nearly sure they were the same viscosity, anyone know an online source where I can compare specifications?

But even with the wrong oil in, why would it come out black?

It wasn't paint flakes in it, it came out like used engine oil :huh:

I used Castrol EPX 75w/80 last time, which I understand is the same viscosity as MTF94 (and considerably thinner than 75/90 or EP90 as has been suggested).

:unsure: I was nearly sure they were the same viscosity, anyone know an online source where I can compare specifications?

Because you burned it. Do you happen to tow or drive off-road a lot? You might want to consider a temperature probe because most fluids have a hot-point where beyond they degrade significantly. A proper analysis will be able to give you the carbon black content level which will likely be the most telling figure.

Sorry, I thought you had written 75W90. EPX 75W/80 is the correct viscosity. They do have the problem of using sulfur additives, which can corrode the copper alloys in the synchros.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_inter...X_Gear_Oils.pdf

The Castrol EPX Gear Oils contain sulphur-phosphorus extreme

pressure additives which enable them to withstand high rubbing

speeds and tooth pressures. These additives are activated by high

localised temperatures on the gear tooth surface, and chemically react

with the metal to form materials (metallic sulphides and phosphides) of

low shear strength between the rubbing surfaces.

This may be what has caused the discoloration or it may have been overheated. The poor shifting is probably due to it being too slippery at low speeds for the synchros. MTFs have friction modifiers that increase low speed friction.

http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/MTF.htm

Well, I'll certainly be using the correct grade oil from now on. Two things to add:

1, the old oil didn't have that distinctive 'burned oil' smell, something I checked for and

2, After a long run, changing down from 4th to 3rd usually results in a grind, if not nursed into gear, even with a double de-clutch (have to let the revs come down to idle then ease it in). This has been the case for the few years I've had it. It seems fine on short towing runs or town driving. Could this be down to worn/damaged syncro rings?