what are the 5 relays?

in my 1989 110 2.5 td, i have got 5 relays under where the fuses go. i have identified one of them being the headlight relay, but cant work out what the other 4 are for!

i have removed the rear wash wipe, and the rear heated window, so assuming one of them will be for that, but which one?

also, on tick over, my charge and oil light flick on and off with the revs, and one of the relays click as they flash..

just wanted to go through the wiring and figure out whats what, and where i could steal power from for my new mud switch panel..

thanks in advance,

CURLY

P.S i did a search, but couldn't find what i was looking for.. :huh:

the indecator relay is tucked up behind the fuses, so i guess the original one could have died and been left there.. thats another one down!

starter relay? i'll see which one clicks when i turn the key, thats 3!

didnt think there was one for the flash, but i will double check..

indicators relay is one of them, starter relay is another, i think there is one for headlight flasher but cant remember off the top of my head.

update..

out of the 5, starting on the left:

1: dunno, but clicks on with the ignition,

2: dunno, but clicks on with the ignition,

3: does nothing as far as i can tell..

4: starter

5: headlights

thats as far as i can get..

CURLY

update..

out of the 5, starting on the left:

1: dunno, but clicks on with the ignition,

2: dunno, but clicks on with the ignition,

3: does nothing as far as i can tell..

4: starter

5: headlights

thats as far as i can get..

CURLY

Can you identify any wire colours on them, numbers of wires, etc. for us? I'm guessing 1. and 2. have a white wire somewhere, and they all have a black wire?

Other candidates:

Two blues, a brown and a black is the Rear Fog Light Inhibit Relay,

White/purple, white/brown, white/red and one or two whites is the Fuel Pump Cut Off,

Brown/white, white/red and one or two blacks is the Brake Check Relay,

Light green, light geen/purple, lightgreen/brown, black is the flasher unit.

Anything else is possibly a retro-fit by a previous owner?

Can you identify any wire colours on them, numbers of wires, etc. for us? I'm guessing 1. and 2. have a white wire somewhere, and they all have a black wire?

Other candidates:

Two blues, a brown and a black is the Rear Fog Light Inhibit Relay,

White/purple, white/brown, white/red and one or two whites is the Fuel Pump Cut Off,

Brown/white, white/red and one or two blacks is the Brake Check Relay,

Light green, light geen/purple, lightgreen/brown, black is the flasher unit.

Anything else is possibly a retro-fit by a previous owner?

what is meant by 'inhibit relay'?

another stupid question..

but relay number 3, the brake check relay, what does that do? cos my brake lights still work even if its unplugged..

and when i put my hazards on, the picture of a trailer on the dash flashes instead of the indicator light.. any ideas?

Cheers,

CURLY

another stupid question..

but relay number 3, the brake check relay, what does that do? cos my brake lights still work even if its unplugged..

and when i put my hazards on, the picture of a trailer on the dash flashes instead of the indicator light.. any ideas?

Cheers,

CURLY

The brake check relay is supposed to flash the brake failure warning light on the dashboard, to let you know the bulb works. Otherwise the light comes on when the brake system is faulty.

The trailer warning light flashing with the hazards is a "feature", apparently.

Indicators by switch - trailer and indicator warning lights flash on dash, trailer one should flash three times. [i think you need the trailer type flasher relay for this]

Indicators by hazard - switch should flash trailer warning light, and either dash warning light, or a warning light in the switch. My old 1987 90 flashed dash lights, but my 1989 110 flashes trailer warning and switch. I assume this is because it left Solihull with a tow pack option.

Mine were a law unto themselves until I replaced the flasher relay, and the warning light in the hazard switch failed MOT, replaced with a Mini one, exactly the same.

mine has 4- two yellow, two green. left most one is headlights, what are rest. Headlight one is getting warm all the time- is this normal? One green one is the same temp too. Wiring is standard!

Read post #5 (above) in this thread and post the answers - you may answer your own question :)

also, on tick over, my charge and oil light flick on and off with the revs, and one of the relays click as they flash..

Charge light flickering is generally dodgy [alternator, alternator bushes, diode pack] or fan belt; clicking is possibly the voltage sensitive relay (VSR) if you have a heated rear window. LR decided to put the VSR up behind the instruments (it's the yellow(I think) one behind the fuel gauge, ish)

Two lights flickering exactly together suggests a dodgy connection in the ignition switched line (green) feeding the instruments or a bad earth to the engine - noticed your handbrake cable burning at all?

If they don't flicker exactly together, then low oil pressure and dodgy alternator / fan belt?

Charge light flickering is generally dodgy [alternator, alternator bushes, diode pack] or fan belt; clicking is possibly the voltage sensitive relay (VSR) if you have a heated rear window. LR decided to put the VSR up behind the instruments (it's the yellow(I think) one behind the fuel gauge, ish)

Two lights flickering exactly together suggests a dodgy connection in the ignition switched line (green) feeding the instruments or a bad earth to the engine - noticed your handbrake cable burning at all?

If they don't flicker exactly together, then low oil pressure and dodgy alternator / fan belt?

handbrake cable is fine, no hot spots, or fires to my knowledge!

number 2 relay clicks on and off with revs as the oil and battery light flash together. all clicking and flashing is in rythm..

am i right in thinking that i dont actually need relay number 2? the fuel pump isolation one?

why on earth would that be clicking with the oil and bat lights?

CURLY

just looked on the wiring diagram for this, and sure enough, the oil warning light is connected to the fuel pump isolation relay via the white/brown cable, and that also goes to the voltage transformer module (if fitted)

so i guess that explains why it clicks and flashes at the same time.

CURLY

just looked on the wiring diagram for this, and sure enough, the oil warning light is connected to the fuel pump isolation relay via the white/brown cable, and that also goes to the voltage transformer module (if fitted)

so i guess that explains why it clicks and flashes at the same time.

CURLY

Aaah! the infamous dim/dip/f**kin-useless voltage transformer module.

Try this: remove the main instrument panel and unplug the multiway connector from the big silver unit located behind the speedo. This will disable the dim/dip function (panic not, mine's been unplugged for 4 MOTs now). Replace the instrument panel, and see if the problem is cured - my voltage transformer module failed in such a way as to hold the dim/dip on even when the ignition was off :(

Aaah! the infamous dim/dip/f**kin-useless voltage transformer module.

Try this: remove the main instrument panel and unplug the multiway connector from the big silver unit located behind the speedo. This will disable the dim/dip function (panic not, mine's been unplugged for 4 MOTs now). Replace the instrument panel, and see if the problem is cured - my voltage transformer module failed in such a way as to hold the dim/dip on even when the ignition was off :(

dim/dip? whats that then?

CURLY

dim/dip? whats that then?

CURLY

Quaint late-80's government scheme to add £100 to the cost of your car by demanding that the dip beam comes on at low power with the side lights.

From Wikipedia:

UK national regulations required vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1987 to be equipped with a dim-dip device or daytime running lamps, except such vehicles as comply fully with ECE Regulation 48 regarding installation of lighting equipment. A dim-dip device operates the low beam headlamps (called "dipped beam" in the UK) at between 10 percent and 20 percent of normal low-beam intensity when the position lamps are switched on, the primary aim being to prevent drivers using only position lamps at night. ... the Dim-Dip requirement was quashed by the European Commission.

In 1988, the European Commission successfully prosecuted the UK government in the European Court of Justice, arguing that the UK requirement for dim-dip was illegal under EC directives prohibiting member states from enacting vehicle lighting requirements not contained in pan-European EC directives. As a result, the UK requirement for dim-dip was quashed.

So now you know :blink:

so when i turn just the side lights on, the headlights should come on really dim then? cos they dont!

maybe the guy before me binned it if there was one, cos i just took the dash off and looked behind, and all i could see was a yellow box voltage regulator thing i think is for the rear heated screen. was going to take that out anyway cos i dont have a heated rear screen anymore..

• 1 month later...

So whats this fuel pump relay that clicks with the oil pressure light all about then?

I noticed in my disco, before i changed its oil the pressure lamp would flicker on at idle when hot, and the flickering was accompanied by a clicking somewhere in the dashboard. What ever it was would click in and out with the light.

Its a carbed engine though, so i cant see why it would have a fuel pump relay?

So whats this fuel pump relay that clicks with the oil pressure light all about then?

I noticed in my disco, before i changed its oil the pressure lamp would flicker on at idle when hot, and the flickering was accompanied by a clicking somewhere in the dashboard. What ever it was would click in and out with the light.

Its a carbed engine though, so i cant see why it would have a fuel pump relay?

Weird, isn't it? The wiring diagram shows it for all 90/110 vehicles (and probably all pre-ecu machines), and if there isn't an electric fuel pump then the relay does nothing at all. The pump feed appears as white/purple on the same connector as the fuel tank sender, seat belt switch, etc., so I guess the pump would have been in the tank or close to it. Why the relay isn't optional I have no idea.