Another head gasket?

Would the oil light come on in this case? Just wondering if the oil passageways could be blocked. Worth trying an engine oil flush?

Just been for a run wirh no thermostat in. Engine took a bit longer to warm up as you'd expect but temp was at halfway after only 4 miles. Gauge then went up to just after halfway and stayed there, running cooler than with the stat in. To me the engine must be creating too much heat to be at halfway after 4 miles with no stat in, Would you agree?

Its just been idling on the drive for 15 mins after the run and temp is still rock solid just past halfway and I haven't even got the fan fitted!

Should I run without the stat?

One other thing a bit of black smoke only under full throttle?

Would be interested If you have any comments

Mark

if you have a thermometer drop it & stat in a pan & boil it to check the opening temp, should be around 88 degrees for a 200Tdi stat, maybe it's a duff stat opening to late.

Have been following this thread with interest. When I swapped my TD engine for a 200tdi

I fitted it with the TD temp. sender, new rad., electric fan and a 92c. temp. switch.

The gauge reacts just the same as it did with the TD engine ie. two thirds of the way up the

white segement (high enough to start to worry, as everyone says 200tdi's run cold), then drops

a fraction as the 'stat opens. The hoses feel pretty hot, but the fan has not switched on so far, even on those hot summer days (did you notice them?!)

Its a recon. unit, done about 500 miles. Seems like similar behaviour?

if you have a thermometer drop it & stat in a pan & boil it to check the opening temp, should be around 88 degrees for a 200Tdi stat, maybe it's a duff stat opening to late.

Have tried that but found it hard to measure temp accurately. However I've tried 3 different stats, two britpart and one genuine and they all give the same result

Have been following this thread with interest. When I swapped my TD engine for a 200tdi

I fitted it with the TD temp. sender, new rad., electric fan and a 92c. temp. switch.

The gauge reacts just the same as it did with the TD engine ie. two thirds of the way up the

white segement (high enough to start to worry, as everyone says 200tdi's run cold), then drops

a fraction as the 'stat opens. The hoses feel pretty hot, but the fan has not switched on so far, even on those hot summer days (did you notice them?!)

Its a recon. unit, done about 500 miles. Seems like similar behaviour?

Sounds similar but it never used to run hot. For the first 6 years the gauge stayed at 1/3 and never moved at all. Now the gauge will nearly touch the red when driven flat out (80 m.p.h) on motorway.

Maybe I need to find a way to measure the temp more accurately (digital gauge?). It certainly spoils the driving experience when the gauge looks like its going into the red at any minute.

Have taken a few readings with an infra red temperature gauge and the surface temp of the top hose near the stat is in the mid nineties so i suspect the coolant temp is a bit higher than this at the sender. Water coming through the bottom hose is approx 25 degrees less than the corresponding position on the top hose. However obviosly I have only tested this at standstill when there isn't a lot or airflow through rad.

That doesn't sound too bad. Given the coolant takes the heat from the metal, that sounds in the ball park, not about to blow up. The Rad is doing its job too.

I suspect a dodgy gauge myself, do defenders have thermo-mechanical voltage regulators like the series? Or are they SolidState jobs which you can check with a multimeter? If the Volts are too high then the gauge reading could be too high. The fuel gauge used to be on the same circuit, does this show correctly?

G.

That doesn't sound too bad. Given the coolant takes the heat from the metal, that sounds in the ball park, not about to blow up. The Rad is doing its job too.

I suspect a dodgy gauge myself, do defenders have thermo-mechanical voltage regulators like the series? Or are they SolidState jobs which you can check with a multimeter? If the Volts are too high then the gauge reading could be too high. The fuel gauge used to be on the same circuit, does this show correctly?

G.

Well i've now got 2 gauges, one is brand new and they both show the same. Have also wired it seperatly taking a live and earth direct from the battery and running a new wire to the sender. Same result.

I'd like to get a different gauge showing actual temp though to confirm its overheating removing the head. Any recommendations?

1/8npt IIRC

Cheers

Just a thought if there is a high resistance in the battery earth strap would this affect the reading on the gauge?

Is there a way to test this, I suppose I could measure the resistance between the grounding point of the sender unit to the battery earthing terminal.

Its just been idling on the drive for 15 mins after the run and temp is still rock solid just past halfway and I haven't even got the fan fitted!

That doesn't sound too bad to me - no airflow, so minimal cooling would cause the temp to be higher than normal. Do the same thing but with the fan fitted and see what the difference is. From what you've posted thus far, I would say that the head itself is ok.

Not too sure about the oil pump - you would hear it rattle if it was that bad, and poor oil pressure would be noticeable too.

Les.

Cheers

Just a thought if there is a high resistance in the battery earth strap would this affect the reading on the gauge?

Is there a way to test this, I suppose I could measure the resistance between the grounding point of the sender unit to the battery earthing terminal.

definitly worth cleaning the earth points & cables, should be 2 to clean ist from engines alternator bracket to the chassis side of the left engine mounting & 2nd from the battery negative terminal to the main gearbox/transfer box joint bolts.

My 200tdi heats up very quick too. In only a few miles between the middle and the red and stays just before the red bit. Has been this way for years.Tomorrow I'm driving to Croatia with this car with my boat on the trailer. Still a bit scary when it is so close to the red even without a trailer. Lets hope it doesn't get hotter in the mountains, hot weather and with the trailer.... I may have to slow down a bit.

My 200tdi heats up very quick too. In only a few miles between the middle and the red and stays just before the red bit. Has been this way for years.Tomorrow I'm driving to Croatia with this car with my boat on the trailer. Still a bit scary when it is so close to the red even without a trailer. Lets hope it doesn't get hotter in the mountains, hot weather and with the trailer.... I may have to slow down a bit.

Good luck with your trip.

If yours has been this way for years maybe I should risk mine in france. Dont really fancy going in the megane.

I measured the reisitance from the grounding on the sender to the battery earth terminal which was basically nothing so that can't be the problem.

200tdi temp sender thread for a disco block is M16 x 1.

Defender is similar, so I think Ralph may have had oil sender in his head when he posted? Perhaps? :ph34r:

Nope, just remembered that it's was 1/0NPT that I used to make a 200Tdi sender into an adaptor for my 300Tdi green top temp sender for my Td5 temp gauge, so apologies for the confusion, the 200Tdi sender body is much bigger.

Nope, just remembered that it's was 1/0NPT that I used to make a 200Tdi sender into an adaptor for my 300Tdi green top temp sender for my Td5 temp gauge, so apologies for the confusion, the 200Tdi sender body is much bigger.

Sorry a bit confused

Have ordered a different gauge which comes with a 1/8 npt fitting so what adapter would i need? I can't see any that are 1/0npt? Had a quick look at my old sender and it looks more like 3/8 npt (close to M16 x1.5 but not) although I havn't got a thread pitch gauge for this size

I think 1/0 is a typo and he meant 1/8 which is almost M10 x 1.

You need to make an adaptor out of the existing sender. A quick search will give you a lint to a very informative thread - it is easy to do - even I did it! :lol:

Sorry a bit confused

Have ordered a different gauge which comes with a 1/8 npt fitting so what adapter would i need? I can't see any that are 1/0npt? Had a quick look at my old sender and it looks more like 3/8 npt (close to M16 x1.5 but not) although I havn't got a thread pitch gauge for this size

Sorry, confusion reigns, it was a error, should have been 1/8npt.

Sorry Mark, I don't know what type of thread is on a Defender 200Tdi temp sender, simply because I've never needed to find out.

Found that my metric tap and die set does actually have a 1/8 npt tap in it so I can now make the adaptor out of an old sender as in the thread mentioned above.

Will crack on as soon as new gauge arives and let you know the outcome.