wiring help!

Guest noggy AKA Mortus

Guest noggy

Ok so following my replacement bulkhead which is now nicely fitted, i am struggleing to get the old girl started!

when i deimmobilise and turn the key i can hear the click of im guessing the starter selonoid, but it doesnt turn over.. i have plugged everything back in... i think.. any light chaps?

Guest noggy

i have disturbed them though, but it is a possibility ofcourse.

i think im going to get a auto electrician in, ive spent atleast 3 hours today with the haynes manual!

Ok so following my replacement bulkhead which is now nicely fitted, i am struggleing to get the old girl started!

when i deimmobilise and turn the key i can hear the click of im guessing the starter selonoid, but it doesnt turn over.. i have plugged everything back in... i think.. and light chaps?

the battery does have to be tip top to turn these old girls over i struggled with mine untill i put the booster on

Guest noggy

Ok, battery charged - no luck :(

immobilizer removed - still no luck

Earths checked - no luck!

starter solenoid clicks but it still wont turn over!

it was running perfect last friday, and it my daily drive so i know my starter motor wasnt dieing, nor did my solenoid have a tendency to stick!

What you have in effect is the pos of the battery connected to the starter, the starter connected to the engine (bolted to it) the engine connected to the body, the body connected to battery negative. If you have a meter or even a light bulb that has had wires soldered to it, connect one end to battery negative. Convince yourself it lights or works by trying the other end on the battery positive.Then work back. Connect it to the body and if it lights when you try the starter the battery eartl lead isn't connected properly. If you connect it to the engine and the bulb lights when you try the starter that means there's 12v across the bulb, so the engine isn't earthing to the body properly properly. If that's Ok, connect it to he starter connection & try again. If the bulb lights brightly you have voltage at the starter, so that's pointing to a faulty starter etc.

Regards

Nigel

Guest noggy

yes, i installed new dash and had to swap the key barrel over to the new bulkhead. I *believe* the wireing on the ignition is correct.

And yes the earth wires are connected, do you know how many there should be?

Not sure on how many earth wires at that location, I've added some for other items on my 110, but provided you cannot see any stray earth tag teminals in that area you probably got all of them attached.

as for the ignition switch connections this thread should help you check yours are in the right terminals on the switch

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...+starter+switch

Guest noggy

Cheers Ralph ill get and have a look, that is very interesting as i have just plugged the wires in... like they were on a 200tdi loom, not on my ex TD loom going onto my 200tdi, hopefully thats my problem!!

• 1 month later...

Ok, after a long long time of having a unusable 90, (worked out quite well, as i didnt have to spend money on fuel) i have finally got the bloomin thing started!!

my ignition barrel was correct from the start, my connections were perfect... now the problem is... the little black and green wire from my starter relay, if i turn the key i get nothing, but if i short out the black and green wire my engine will turn over and start?

surely shorting this cable shouldnt have a positive effect, i am baffled!

What do you mean by 'short out'? short to what? 12v?

The ignition key switches the relay on the bulkhead, the relay on the bulkhead switches the starter solenoid, which then energises the starter.

It's possible that what you thought was the starter soloid clicking, is in fact the ignition switch relay clicking.

If the black/green wire is the ignition switch relay output, i.e. it goes to the starter solenoid, and you putting 12v on it energises the starter ok, then its fair to say that the ignition switch relay isn't supplying 12v, either because it has failed internally, or more likely the wire has come adrift.

Luke

yes luke i think you are correct, I have power gettin to my relay as i have tested with a light bulb, now when i touch my light bulb wires into the green and black wire then touch it against the chassis the engine will start on the key.

So i think my starter relay has failed internally....am i right?

hmm, that sounds like you have an earthing problem, as already discussed, rather than a faulty relay.

Where exactly does the green/black wire go? I suspect it is the earth for the relay. I don't have a circuit diagram here to check, anyone else?

Trouble is, if it is the earth for the relay, you shouldn't have been hearing the relay click, because it wouldn't have been working!

OK, having consulted a wiring diagram, I think you've got rather a few wires mixed up.

Black Green is the earth for the starter relay. It goes on to be connected to a common earth black wire.

This explains why earthing it with your test lamp makes everything work.

The ignition switch should supply the relay coil with 12v on a White/red wire, the output from the relay to the solenoid is also a white/red wire.

The relay contact is supplied 12v by a Brown wire.