Fitting a V8

I'm a after a bit of advice. I've got a 110 1988 SW currently fitted with a Mazda 3.5 SL. it originally had a V8 with a lt85 gearbox and i would like to change the engine to something a bit quieter with a bit more poke. I think it would be easier to go back to a V8 due to the gearbox but would consider others. Also i'm away a lot at the moment (7 months down the falklands from Novemder) so would be looking for someone to do the work. Any help on which engine to go for and where to get one and get the work done would be much appreciated. I live in Southampton but the 110 is up in Oxford at the moment so anywhere round that area would be helpfull.

Assuming the bellhousing wasn't messed with, get a 3.9 Efi V8 bolted straight on, fairly plentiful and cheap. Probably make a profit on selling the jap diseasel :P

Can't help with someone to do it but it's the way I'd go (short of dropping in an autobox as well :lol: )

The EFI sounds good, would there need to be a lot of adjustments to the wiring loom, i'm pretty sure it's still standard from when the 3.5 V8 was in. I will have use of engine lifts etc when i get back, is it a massive job to swap the engines i'm not bad with a spanner but not brilliant with auto electrics.

That's something we could do if your interested, not too expensively, just done it to one of our own vehicles 89 110 CSW V8, we're near sheffield and have a beaver tail transporter so could collect & drop off if required. I'd recommend a 3.9 pre-serpentine with ZF auto. We'll sort the efi. Both cheap to buy and easy to work with. Drop us a line advice is buck shee ! Ask for Paul (Marsie) 01909 552288

The Hotwire EFI (as long as you get the kind with the standalone loom) should require only a few additional wires to make it work. You'll need a high pressure fuel pump (& filter) and a return line to the tank. Have a search, it's been covered more than once before. All the wiring diagrams & diagnostics are in the technical archive.

If you've got the spare pennies, MegaSquirt'n'EDIS would make it double sweet.

Yep megasquirt would be good, you could be driving round and your lass have laptop on her knee fiddling with it. She could even check the laptop.

There's got to be a gag about a lass fiddling with it, resulting in a MegaSquirt there somewhere.... I tried looking with the forum search, but no luck.. :(