98 300tdi Headlamp/sidelight wiring

Hello again!

I have just replaced a headlamp bulb on the passenger side of my defender. However, when doing it I noticed an extra socket complete with wiring that appears disconnected - the socket is of the same smaller type as the side lights and indicators, the wiring is orange and black.

All my side lights/indicators working, does anyone know what its for? :blink:

Thanks again for any help....

post-15600-1250102679.jpg

Here it is, as I say all my indicators work, it does not look like a rabbit run, I just wonder if I've pulled if of some where...it is orange and black....

Nah, that's faded red and black, for sidelights. Turn the sides on in the cab and put a meter across it - bet you a pound to forum funds I'm right :)

Nah, that's faded red and black, for sidelights. Turn the sides on in the cab and put a meter across it - bet you a pound to forum funds I'm right :)

Well, don't have a meter at home, but all my sides work - triple checked and all connected. The neighbours must think I'm potty!!!

Well, don't have a meter at home, but all my sides work - triple checked and all connected. The neighbours must think I'm potty!!!

A function of living next to a Land Rover owner - don't worry, they'll get curious / need a favour at soem point.

I think it might be a spare pick-up point for something? At the risk of the neighbours calling the nice men in the clean white coats, is there one on the other side too? might be for additional sidelights?

A function of living next to a Land Rover owner - don't worry, they'll get curious / need a favour at soem point.

I think it might be a spare pick-up point for something? At the risk of the neighbours calling the nice men in the clean white coats, is there one on the other side too? might be for additional sidelights?

No, nothing on the other side, it must be for something like that, would just be nice to know what it was.

Drove into work this morning and have discovered that the fuse for the headlamp has blown on this side again, full beam still works.

From my original post, I've just changed the bulb and fuse, thats when I found this socket. I'm not sure that the socket is related?? The socket on the headlamp looks fine and is not the same.....as I said the spare socket is the same for the sidelamps and indicators.....

no need to be sorry , I Don't know what is for then, but as it comes from the side & tail light circuit, it's got to be something to do with lighting, what year is your vehicle?

& I'll have another look over the 300Tdi wiring diagrams I have

Ralph,

Have given up for the day, its year is 1998, 300tdi csw on an R plate, i'm sure its not anything to do with the headlamp problem I now have, must be unused. The fuse that is blowing is a 7.5 amp supply fuse. I notice the headlamp glows dimly after the fuse blows - is this an indication of an earth?

If you have a cct diagram that would be great. Thinking it must be a relay. All I have is the diagram behind the fuse box.

Thanks again for your help.

Ralph,

Have given up for the day, its year is 1998, 300tdi csw on an R plate, i'm sure its not anything to do with the headlamp problem I now have, must be unused. The fuse that is blowing is a 7.5 amp supply fuse. I notice the headlamp glows dimly after the fuse blows - is this an indication of an earth?

If you have a cct diagram that would be great. Thinking it must be a relay. All I have is the diagram behind the fuse box.

Thanks again for your help.

Circuit diagrams I have can be downloaded from www.green-oval.com look for LR RAVE manuals.

fwiw I did happen to notice there's an 'OB' (orange w/ black trace) showing from 'alarm sounder relay' to 'alarm sounder' on both 96 and 02 circuit diagrams

as you say it sounds like it is unrelated to your headlamp issue

I've found that just now too, quite possibly for a alarm sounder, but just because it comes out from the same section of loom as the lights doesn't mean it is a lighting connector, if your vehicle has a alarm/immobiliser fitted IIRC the sounder is down by the headlight

my other replies as they weren't right have been edited/deleted by me.

• 11 years later...

ChHello now I've got light issues on my 98 defender ,I also have this spare socket in nearside wing ! 

I've had a problem with drivers side side light blowing fuses  , then my main beam has stopped working still got near side side light and full beam ,changed  the on off switch  and it worked for a day or two ! Any clues ? Wires arnt my thing