6000lb line pull winch, will it be powerful enough?

Steve_M

I've been looking at fitting a winch (to a lightweight) and have been offered an electric one with a 6000lb line pull, I have a feeling that this is not going to be enough but I would appreciate peoples opinions.

Cheers

Steve

Tony and I usually disagree on the subject of winches :P but what he said ^^^

I knew somebody who had a Warn X6000 (or M6000? can't remember) a few years ago and blew it up winching a vehicle ON road... it had broken down on a slippery hill and couldn't be towed up (too slippery). It died horribly producing a smell which was somewhere between a house fire and a woman driver trying to do a hill start in 3rd gear with a 3.5 ton trailer on the back :ph34r:

Would be a waste of money IMHO, what you want is 8000lb minimum, bear in mind that most electric winches will not pull the rated load for very long so you need to start with something that is over-rated to start with. Also do not underestimate the amount of suction you can get in certain conditions - one figure I have seen suggests that the force required to move a vehicle bogged to the hubs is actually 3x the vehicle weight! so a 6000lb winch would just about move a Suzuki SJ in that situation....

Stephen

I was pleased with the power from the XP motor on Sunday when it lifted the 90 during this pic with only a few feet of rope off of the drum

at no time was it struggling I was more concerned it would snap the rope

dropping the 90 a fairway

24.jpg

Like the picture.

The electric winch I was looking at was to go on the rear, not really necessary for what I use it for at the moment but it was going at a price which made me think I might as well. I've got a big Superwinch to try and fit on the front, just need to source the pto bits.

Steve

Guest diesel_jim
Stephen

I was pleased with the power from the XP motor on Sunday when it lifted the 90 during this pic with only a few feet of rope off of the drum

at no time was it struggling I was more concerned it would snap the rope

dropping the 90 a fairway

24.jpg

^^^^^^^^ Very reminisent of "the gods must be crazy" where he does that to the S1 in the tree! :D:D

Tut, Paul Wightman did a much better one that that with Piglet, he was halfway up the tree :P

Lifting one end of a 90 off the ground should only require about 2000-2500lb pull. I keep meaning to try hooking the MM on to the endless chain lift at work and lift the front wheels off the ground just for the hell of it!

It should be relatively painless with a 6hp motor, after all the standard Warn one is only 2.1hp or something so the gearing (and the 8000lb pull) will presumably be designed for that motor...? It would be interesting to test that outfit as you have to destruction, firstly to see what would break first with the XP motor fitted and secondly to see what the ultimate line pull would be at the point of failure - I suspect a lot more than the 8000lb the winch was originally rated at.

Good photo though! :)

I also did something silly the other day, I was trying to shift a wooden pontoon for my new boat into position but it was hooked up on a big rock and the tide was a bit low. This is a bit of wood measuring about 3 feet x 3 feet x 25 feet, completely waterlogged.... prob weighed a fair bit! The 90 was up on the jetty and I was operating the winch with the remote while somebody else stood hard on the brakes and the front wheels against the concrete lip of the jetty. I definitely had full compression on the front suspension (could see that) and I wasn't entirely sure one of the back wheels wasn't floating a bit, though I couldn't see it from where I was standing :blink::D

intresting figures

there was 120ft of rope still on the drum, that covers the standard 8274 diameter drum, unsure how much that alters the gearing but the first layer being 8000lb must mean far less when 120ft is on the drum.

the standard warn motor is 4.6hp now and has been since the 8274-50 model.

I was worried for the rope on Sunday as I thought that would fail before the motor stopped,

James directed the operation I just pulled the switch and hoped all held together.

I think I'll buy some 12mm rope next time I get some.

The husky with an XP is a far more useable item too

we used it on Sunday to drag the rear around a bit to line the 90 up

speak to Les Brock/Nigel(HFH) and Phil at PG winches

they are somewhat knowledgeable on the winch you mention

Thanks for the recommendation, I had seen the PG winches web site a while ago but haven't got round to contacting them will make sure I do now though.

Steve

The 90 was up on the jetty and I was operating the winch with the remote while somebody else stood hard on the brakes and the front wheels against the concrete lip of the jetty. I definitely had full compression on the front suspension (could see that) and I wasn't entirely sure one of the back wheels wasn't floating a bit, though I couldn't see it from where I was standing :blink::D

Now that demands pictures to prove those back wheels really were off the ground. How high do you recon you could get them?

And just in case it all goes terribly wrong might be good to video it too. Not that we would be at all amused at you winching your 90 over the edge of the jetty :)

I don't know if it would. David Lovejoy reckons he had the back wheels of a vehicle off the ground with a MM once though, pulling out tree roots IIRC. All I could see was the top of the wheels from where I was standing on another pontoon close by, I was a lot lower than the vehicle. I would say from the wheel to wheelarch gap that it must have been at the top of its travel anyway, but couldn't see if there was any daylight. If it wasn't floating I don't think it would have needed much inducement to do so :D

No sign of distress from the MM, but I was starting to worry about the rope (only single lined), and the bit I had the winch hook on to (a 1" thick eye bolt going into the pontoon) was starting to creak a bit too :) it would be interesting to try posterior levitation but I ain't that convinced that the Bikini mount is tough enough for the job (it's only 6mm) and I don't want to break anything expensive being silly!

I was thinking of a loud 90-shaped splash which was why I had somebody in the drivers seat standing hard on the brakes! - there is no chance whatsoever that I am going to post such a picture on here because I don't intend to drop it 10 feet into 6 feet of salt water thank you :P